Author Topic: What can you really hear with a handheld?  (Read 8746 times)

Offline Brewkelyn

What can you really hear with a handheld?
« on: June 28, 2005, 09:58:25 PM »
Hey all....I've presented this question in a like forum and haven't really received a clear answer...

Basically, I have an old base scanner, a Radio Shack Pro 2040, that I bought, what, 10 years ago. Lately (since I discovered this awesome website) I've been listening to what I can of the air band, which is limited only to aircraft transmissions since I live in a 1st floor apartment without an external antenna. I made a ground plane antenna the other day which was fun but until I can put it up in the air I won't be able to hear anything but aircraft and I'm not getting a house anytime soon.

So my question is...and it's probably an ignorant one...but with a hand-held scanner and let's say using a Diamond antenna that I've read is a good one, can you really listen to both the aircraft and ATC?? Let's say from an apartment?? or while on the road?? or do you need to be on the airport grounds or nearby to get clear reception??

I've read and read a lot in forums but I would like a direct answer.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this...

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 10:40:24 PM »
It depends on what controllers you wanna monitor? How far are you from JAX and how is the terrain between you and the airport?

Offline Brewkelyn

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 10:26:42 AM »
Well, I'm a good 20 miles away from Jax Intl. and the terrain here is flat, no hills whatsoever. There are many other smaller airports nearby as well but they are not controlled.

There is also a plethora of navy bases surrounding me, some busier than others. For example, I live only about 5 or so miles away from NAS Jax in which there is activity pretty much everyday. Just last night after heavy rain past thru, around 9 pm, there were two Hornets circling around in and out of the thick cloud cover. But what we mostly see are P-3 Orions and S-3 Vikings training, everyday. An occassional commercial jet comes thru which is always cool, sometimes a 747 or MD-11. Even the President lands here when he visits. I'm originally from N.J. very close to TEB and I miss seeing the endless string of planes coming in and making their turn for Newark.

Anyway, I've never heard military comms since I don't have a scanner capable of that but would a handheld with that band pick up tower and the jets at that range?? Recently they put a Super Target store right next to the base, so I can sit in the parking lot which is only about 100 or so yards from the runway, if that. I would imagine at that distance you would get you clear reception. But what I'm really trying to figure out is...is it worth it for me to purchase a handheld with a better-than-factory-supplied antenna or should I stick it out until I can find a way to have an external antenna for my base scanner??

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:03:03 AM »
well i have one of thoise rat shack magnetic mount antennas(the one with the 2 centrally loaded coils) recently i put it ontop of my A/C that I have in my window and I live 20 miles away from JFK(which I never got both controller and aircraft transmissions) however I do know albeit not as loud as I would like but I can still hear JFK tower and aircraft and I have Manhattan blocking my line of sight to JFK. dont know if that helps at all but give it a try(worked for me)

Offline Jonathan_tcu

At home and on the road
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 09:40:59 AM »
I have the luxury of monitoring the local FSS and Montreal hi alt. traffic on my portable and the Toronto ATC four sector on the tabletop scanner.  While on the road within 10 miles of any local area with a major airport, I'll monitor the closest ACC on the tabletop and the local advisory freq's on the portable.  What's difficult is when everything is happening at once and you only get 5 minutes before you're out of that local control zone.

Offline thehotshotpilot

I had a terrible and great experience with a handheld.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 03:20:56 PM »
My first solo cross-country was just a quick hop 53 nm from my homebase neither airport or the airspace that I was passing through was controlled but near by was GSP a class C. I was sixteen and asked for flight following on my instructor's advice. Before I left my radio was screwing up, so he lent me his handheld as a backup.

On my way there my radio quit before I got up to the runup area, so I switched to his handheld. On the way there it was fine and approach on 119.4  and 188.8  got me loud and clear and it went off without a hitch. On the way back things got confusing for an unexperienced student. I called them up on 188.8 and 119.4 and could hear them but couldn't transmit. I was about fifteen miles due west of GSP and I couldn't reach them but they were looking for me. I could here them but couldn't transmitt to them dispite i could see them. I called up another approach thirty miles away and they could hear me. They informed GSP approach of my situation. The big lesson was that no matter what a student may think about ATC, they are intimidating, talk fast etc, they are out to get you on the ground safely, and they are your friends. All I could do was to communicate and answer yes or no questions with the ident on the transponder, until I got on the ground.

Don't always trust your handheld, this is for student pilots : ATC are there for you

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Lost aircraft situations
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 04:06:31 PM »
I've heard of these situations with Toronto center.  The controllers will impose 'On Guard' while attempting several contacts to reach that aircraft.  Alot of times it's pilot non-intentional error.  So if you can't talk, someone WILL try to call you.

Offline thehotshotpilot

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 09:38:01 PM »
Yeah you are right. ATC had got a couple CAP flights in the area to listen for me... but something may have snapped on those channels. I understand it maybe unintentional error but I know that wasn't the case.