Author Topic: whats your best pilot/ATC moment?  (Read 21577 times)

Offline NWA ARJ

• Private Pilot, Control Tower Operator
    • UND Air Traffic Control
Re: whats your best pilot/ATC moment?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 11:52:21 PM »
My best moment was when I got my PPL. However, that will soon be replaced when I get facility rated as an air traffic contoller.

I think he meant the moment will soon be replaced, not the PPL.

That is correct. I already have my CTO. Just waiting for the day I get fully certified at the Up/Down I currently work at!

Offline Checkride Charlie

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 08:13:08 PM »
Flying 90 miles to get to my checkride, PASSSING, then flying home with a grin that lastest a month.  :-D

The other would be, taking my Dad for a ride because he lost his medical and seeing a tear in his eye, and him telling me "The sun is in my eyes."  8-)

Offline rmkonrath

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 07:58:14 PM »
either getting my mutli, instrument, and commercial license at UND.

Or getting vectors directly over KMSP immediately following getting my private certificate when i was 18

Offline mkreilein

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »
Hmmm...nice topic.  Hopefully, after this Saturday mine will be "When I got back to KSCH and was a Private Pilot".  Wish me luck on the checkride.

As far as a "that was COOL" moment other than first solo as that's too easy, it was doing pattern work at KSCH one afternoon.  Two of us in the pattern, left traffic, Runway 4.  A jet was taxiing and wanted to depart Runway 22, the reciprocal of my runway...obviously.  Tower told the lead A/C upon T&G to make right traffic Runway 4.  We came in and were told to make LEFT traffic Runway 4.  She then instructed the A/C on right traffic to make left 360's midfield on the downwind and instructed us to make right 360's midfield on the downwind.  Once we were both circling, she gave t/o clearance to the corporate jet for Runway 22.  After one final revolution to give the 2 min for wake, she released us from our holds, pointed out the other A/C to me sequenced us back in, got us both back on left traffic and back to normal T&G work.

It was just one of those moments where you stop and think, "WOW!  These guys and girls are REALLY well trained and do a hell of a job!"  Dunno, it was just nice to see someone come up with a clever solution to keep everyone happy and separated.