airtraffic

Author Topic: Where to buy a cheap scanner for a newbie  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Trevor KJ6RPM

Where to buy a cheap scanner for a newbie
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »
hey guys i am new to the forums and was wondering where i could buy a good but cheap radio scanner. i am an Xplane vatsim pilot and would like to listen witha scanner. So any suggestions would be appreciated this is what i had in mind.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3704415&filterName=Price&filterValue=under+%24149.99#

Offline Dave_B

Re: Where to buy a cheap scanner for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »
ebay

Offline squeegeeboy

• You like airplanes too?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »
I've bought my last two at Radio Shack, but you're sure to find some deals on eBay. Though, if you've got the itch and the cash Radio Shack isn't bad.

Offline K5PAT

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »
Trevor,
    If you are in the USA, you might also try www.craigslist.com. I've seen a few scanners on Craigs list in my area.

Offline Trevor KJ6RPM

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 03:44:32 PM »
Geez that was quick thanks u guys.

Offline Trevor KJ6RPM

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
Also what would be better i live like 15 miles from SFO should i invest in base or a handheld.

Online Chananya Freedman

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »
base is best.

alltheway

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
I have an old Netset Pro55 handheld scanner with a BNC connector, which I can connect to an outdoor antenna easely, there are also two adapter connectors, one for charging the batteries, and one for direct adapter connection, so the batteries are full and when I unplug the adapter I can take the handheld out doors. But then again I also have a base Bearcat Uniden 9500 XLT what works on 12 Volts DC and so is my car, with a self made car plug I take it with me where ever I go... Base and handheld are usefull for that matter...  :evil:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:29:39 PM by alltheway »

Offline Trevor KJ6RPM

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 12:06:55 AM »
I have an old Netset Pro55 handheld scanner with a BNC connector, which I can connect to an outdoor antenna easely, there are also two adapter connectors, one for charging the batteries, and one for direct adapter connection, so the batteries are full and when I unplug the adapter I can take the handheld out doors. But then again I also have a base Bearcat Uniden 9500 XLT what works on 12 Volts DC and so is my car, with a self made car plug I take it with me where ever I go... Base and handheld are usefull for that matter...  :evil:

Ok thanks and about the handheld what is the range i am about 15 miles from SFO. Does it depend on the antenna height.

alltheway

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 01:21:34 AM »
The higher the antenna the further your reception will be, but also more static noise and lots of use of the squelch, but with a filter or directional antenna 15 miles is workable.

I can hear airplanes up to 80 NM, but ground stations at 8 miles are unreadable for me for example, just with my indoor antenna ! ! !
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:25:01 AM by alltheway »

Offline uplink

• PPL ASEL, SOCAL AREA
    • SOCAL TRACON/VAN NUYS APPROACH
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
Look for a used Radio Shack Pro-136 base, one of the best for sensitivity, selectivity and audio on the aircraft band, they don't make them like this anymore, and you can get em for less than $50 bucks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:11:09 AM by uplink »

Offline Trevor KJ6RPM

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:39 PM »
Thanks u guys now i justhave to get one for christmas or my BDay.  I really want Xplane10 when it comes out so i think ill wait on the scanner.