Author Topic: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!  (Read 492767 times)

Offline ChristopherT

Re: Listener demographics...which one of the following is you?
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2008, 08:31:16 AM »
I'm a pilot-hobbyist who grew up around Hancock International Airport/Air National Guard base (KSYR).  I've got experience in Flightsim from version 2.0 to FS98, as well as some non-pilot experience in actual cockpits and simulators.  (A-10 II, Piper Cub, Cessnas, etc).  I was a past president of the Aviation Explorer post at Hancock NYANG base, and I have civilian training at the base's motorpool and AGE unit (six months each.)  So I've  handled flight line equipment too.

Christopher

Offline dougsnowGSH

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »

Certified 121 Aircraft Dispatcher living in Northern Indiana

Currently job hunting...

Offline Airforceguy24

« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
"why there isn't a"student ATC"? huh"

I just finished my upgrade training for the Air Force.  It took 15 months from tech school to certification. Training sucks, but working the traffic is worth it. Oh and when the controller tells you your approaching active military operations area, go around/over/under. Crazy VFR.

djmodifyd

« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:22 PM »
Im an air traffic controller at KDSM

Im fully certified through the tower (CTO) and Im training in radar

Offline cont1204

« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2008, 04:52:54 AM »
I tend to listen to ATC. I do use flight sims, just not as much as I did.

Offline carllef

« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »
I am a ham radio operator. I've been licensed since 1963, when I was a junior in high school in Chicago. I am now 61 years old, and am officially retired as a school psychologist. I do some consultation to local schools on an "as needed" basis." I have lots of time to relax, listen to the radio, and ride my bike around my town, which is 2.2 miles from the ocean.

I have several scanners. I tend to monitor the local police and fire channels. I listen to 123.00 (a local unicom channel) and also 123.450 - a channel the banner planes use as they fly along the shore0. I also have an ICOM 746PRO, which is a great ham radio. It has a general coverage receiver in it. I like to listen to the HF avation channels from time to time.

I like this website because it pulls together so many radio links in one location. I also have enjoyed the "catpured" audio recordings. They show me what it is like to be a controller or pilot.

My neighbor gave me the link to this site. He is a Captain with Northwest.

Offline ocurry

• Orv's Personal Website
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2008, 08:19:02 AM »
I am new on here and found the site looking for practice copying clearances for my IFR training. It is great listening in at work! Keep up the good work Dave!

Offline Braniff-girl

Re: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2008, 03:57:51 PM »
Obsessed with airplanes and flying.

My father worked for Braniff International Airlines from 1956-1982.  It was heartbreaking for me when they went bankrupt. 

My playground was DFW airport.  Dad and I would drive out there near the runway and pack a lunch and watch airplanes take off and land.  He had a radio so we could listen to the ATC communicate with the pilots. 

I found this site and immediately forwarded it to him.  Now we both listen to it while I am at work.  I notice that I cannot access some of the places.  I am currently listening to JFK.  I just about died laughing when I heard the female controller advising the Delta heavy about birds in the area at 200 feet.  After repeating the warning several times, she shortened it to "advise incoming 200 feet birds."  The Delta heavy landed and after completing his technical jargon, he said almost under his breath..."I was kinda looking forward to seeing 200 foot birds."  I just about lost it here. 

Everyone think's I am a freak because I am so into this stuff.  It's in my "blood".. what can I say? 

Nice to find a "home" :-).

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2008, 05:04:40 PM »
I found this site because I was going to Israel for Passover of '07 and I was trying to get atc frequencies for the local airports.  I googled atc frequencies for Israel, and somehow this site caught my eye.  I am so glad that I found this site and I've been a big fan ever since.  Thanks guys.

Chananya

Offline jsapyta

« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2008, 07:34:35 PM »
I come from being a Ex-AF brat, my father was a pilot in the AF and being moved around all over US and overseas it was natural for me to into being aviation nut. I'm also a Ham Radio Operator (N7XLQ) since '92, and I love listening ATC links here and on my scanner as well.

And I'm armchair FS flier as well.

I would like to create a feed but I'm not sure of my Sony handheld would, I'll have investigate more on it.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:36:34 PM by jsapyta »

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »
ATC at RDU

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2008, 06:27:07 PM »
I'm the only real world airline pilot on here?  That's surprising

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2008, 11:09:46 PM »
yah and works for commair out of all of them...damn.

j/k

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »
I'm the only real world airline pilot on here?  That's surprising

We added some new categories recently - debated on whether to reset the stats...probably will.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:11 AM »
Captured current results and reset - I think everyone can vote again now. 

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »
Not sure whether I fall under Airline Employee commercial or commercial pilot.  I guess airline employee I am!   :mrgreen:

Offline sunshyne

« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »
new member here! 5 hours in a 172 and on hold until I can get more funds to finish :) I am an avid aviation nutcase as most of you and I also live a few short miles from IAD so i get to watch the heavies all day long :)

Offline ALADINO52

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
Outstanding Site My favorites:  TJSJ/KSJU, SKBO, MPTO

Offline McDowell11

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »
Hey everybody, I am a student pilot flying out of KLNK in Lincoln Nebraska, I am within a few weeks of my checkride!  I stumbled across this website when I was supposed to be working, (not planning cross country flights and playing on the internet). 

This site has been a great learning tool even for just the few days I have used it.  Thanks to everyone on here and I cant wait to learn more!

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2008, 10:41:44 PM »
Hey everybody, I am a student pilot flying out of KLNK in Lincoln Nebraska, I am within a few weeks of my checkride!  I stumbled across this website when I was supposed to be working, (not planning cross country flights and playing on the internet). 

Good luck on your checkride!  That feeling you experience after you pass your checkride and take up the aircraft for the first time as a certificated pilot will be one of the most memorable of your life.  Enjoy!

Offline Yannick

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »
Hi

I'm always been interested in aviation since I was a little kid, nowadays I keep busy with aircraft fotography and stuff like that, and am student prior my job in aviation.

I have a receiver device wich I use very frequently (often daily), it helps me well with doing my hobby, never a unpleasant surprise where I'm gratefull for, and maybe who knows it will one day push me in the direction of going for ATC.

Regards: Yannick ;)

Offline McDowell11

« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »
  [/quote]
Good luck on your checkride!  That feeling you experience after you pass your checkride and take up the aircraft for the first time as a certificated pilot will be one of the most memorable of your life.  Enjoy!
[/quote]

thanks! i am excited, a little nervous, but i will be prepared

Offline MoGas

« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2008, 06:35:40 AM »
Hello to all

I have PPL since 13 years.

greets

Offline SticknRudder

« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »
I'm brand new to this forum--my primary interest is in getting a KBFI feed established.  I'm struck by the large number of controllers on this forum--ought to be a good place to get opinions about ATC procedures.

My background is lifetime pilot: solo on 16th birthday, Private license on 17th birthday (both in a Luscombe 8E), hold an FAA ATP with PIC type ratings on 747-400, 737, Falcon 20, Dash 8, Metroliner and Beech 1900.  10 years experience as a 737 instructor pilot, 5 as an FAA 737 pilot examiner, one 3 year hitch as a JAA (now EASA) 737 type rating examiner.

Current occupation is 737 pilot procedure author with additional duties as a support pilot.

Bill
KBFI

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2008, 08:47:34 PM »
Current occupation is 737 pilot procedure author with additional duties as a support pilot.

Wow, sincerely impressive resume.   This single-engine GA pilot is looking forward to reading some of your posts and experiences.  I hope you have the time to chime in every so often.