Author Topic: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!  (Read 492259 times)

Offline Comms

Re: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2010, 07:22:46 AM »
Hi all I'm from Australia I am I am a licensed Pilot and new to this forum but not to Aviation and ATC comms I have been heavily involved in the communications area for over 30 years.

Hope to add to as well as learn from this forum and look forward to contributing and helping out where I can.

Rgs
Mav.

Offline kc135dood

• http://fstankers.freeforums.org/
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
This is too hard, haha...

Aircraft Deicer
A&P graduate, though I am in the process of getting licensed.
Student Pilot
Pilot hobbyist
Communications hobbyist
Air Traffic Controller hobbyist

Also, I am a member of Civil Air Patrol, and I've operated various HF, UHF, VHF, Commercial, and 2-way radios every now and then.

Offline jlynn

« Reply #252 on: January 24, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »
Farmer by trade, but really enjoy most anything aviation related, including Flight Sim, flying powered parachute ultralight,  rc planes, and scanning local atc.  Just haven't been able to justify the time and expense of becoming a real pilot yet.

Offline VibraTek

« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2010, 04:41:35 PM »
I am a mechanical engineer specialized in noise and vibrations. My hobbies are shortwave listening, model airplanes and aviation. Too late (56) to be  a pilot, I enjoy myself by analyzing flights during my very frequents flights on airliners. In the process if I hear any noise or feel any vibration that is out of the ordinary for the particular type of aircraft, I get nervous. But listening to LTBA is sheer fun! I know most ATCs by their voices by now.

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #254 on: March 03, 2010, 11:53:59 PM »
In addition to my other post on this topic, I'll say that this site sometimes is a very informative site and I thank Dave, Jason, and everyone else who works on this site. For this site to cease being in existence would make it very tough surging the internet.  Thanks again guys. You're all great!

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #255 on: March 17, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
Today I'm pleased to change my vote from "pilot hobbyist" to "student pilot". With luck, in a few months I'll change again to "licensed pilot".  :-D

Offline Carmelo

« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2010, 06:16:25 AM »
Hi been monitoring the airbands for over 30 years lately started to get back monitoring hf aero but have to get use to staying up late.

Regards Lino.

Offline JonEU19

« Reply #257 on: March 20, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »
Been a aviation enthusiast since 1972 in the Marines when I saw my first Harrier jet at MCAS Beafort, SC. and wondered how a jet could do that.   :-o

Offline VibraTek

« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2010, 05:18:33 PM »
I am a communications hobbyist from Istanbul, Turkey

Offline Hernan1

« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »
I am a pilot. now retired from a major airline. I enjoy making flight sim videos and occasionally include ATC talk to make them more realistic.

Offline coolsan

• My Aviation Vids
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »

Hi everyone!

Today I changed my vote to Licensed Private Pilot and very soon to be Commercial Pilot. Also an avid virtual pilot and Air Traffic Controller in VATSIM.

Thanks Dave, this site is truly truly great.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #261 on: April 06, 2010, 08:09:40 AM »
Congrats on your ticket!  And best of luck in all your flying endeavors.  Fly safe.

Offline k1ur

• FlightSim.Com
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2010, 10:36:17 AM »
Interesting poll, but a shame you can only check one box. It would be interesting to have another poll where you could check all the categories you fit into.

For myself:

Amateur Radio operator (K1UR)
Licensed pilot (N8439T)
Pilot hobbyist (flight sim)

And isn't everyone here a communications hobbyist?

--Nels Anderson
  www.flightsim.com

Offline WECpoker

• WECpoker - Full Poker Resource Site
« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2010, 04:43:15 AM »
I am just a frequent flyer who has frequently visited the site over the years to listen to ATC, sometimes trying to follow a friends flight across the country, or just random ATC banter.  I have also been a lurker reading the forums often, but just decided to register.

Thank You for the great site...

Offline empirestate

« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »
100% civilian myself...I always enjoyed listening in on ch. 9 when flying United (if they have it switched on, which seems to be getting rarer); it's comforting as a passenger to compare the ATC instructions with the movement of the plane and so forth. (I thought about putting "nervous flyer" but I'm not really any more nervous than most, I'm guessing...especially when I can follow along!)

I knew about this site prior to the Colgan crash at Buffalo, but the event re-kindled my interest as it was in my hometown area.

I've shown my iPhone app to a friend who is a retired pilot...he thought it was pretty neat!

Offline jmrtlara

« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2010, 03:55:15 AM »
I'm an engineering student in Manila, Philippines and soon to be an Air Traffic Controller in RPHI. :-)

Offline johnr64

« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2010, 03:46:45 PM »
i took flight school lots of years ago, and never had the wherewithall to finish with getting the actual license. I was too busy doing useless things. I'm still interested though, and the fast pace of the conversations keep the brain limber.

KHAOS

« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »
I am the son of a retired military pilot that is currently flying for the airlines.  I've spent many a night using liveATC.net to listen to my dad crossing the Atlantic and landing at JFK or BWI.  Quite amazing.

I am also a ramp agent at Salt Lake Int'l for UPS, and have always had an interest in aviation, ever since I could have a coherent thought.

Right now I am a student pilot at 32 hours looking to finish my PPL by 45 hours, with goals of eventually flying for a career.

I've got clips from my dad's flights, as well as my own.   Like father, like son.  It's great.  Thanks for the service, liveatc.net. :)

Update: After 6 months, I finally got my license 2 days ago, with a total of 58 hours so far. 

Also, left my job on the ramp so I could further my education.

Offline Bricktop

« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
Live near JFK approaches for 4 and 13, fun to listen.

Offline carterman

« Reply #269 on: June 04, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »
I grew up around airplanes. Our current baby is a Cessna 180 J.  I have held a VFR ticket for about 15 years.  I listen mostly at work to my local airport KOXC.

Offline gunny1952

« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
Hi
I am a medical gounded commercial pilot been that way for about 12 years now.
Heart condition. Two open heart surgery's.
The only way any more for me to fly is flight Sim's and since I am on a small fixed income its a free one. So there are not to many bells and whistles.
Ysflight if anyone is familiar with it?
And yes I know its a really bad consolation to the real thing.Sim>>real.
Absolutely no feeling of flight.No procedures no contacts. No adrenaline although I tried to avoid that as much as possable :wink:.
I used to fly out of KSYR,Hancock. But now live in West Virginia (Not covered here BTW).
So basically I am trying to get some sort of feeling of being back in the right seat again.

Offline bigjuliechc

« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:27 PM »
 :-) Hi, my name is Julius. I have been interested in aviation for most of my life(55 years old). My first flighrt was CHC-WLG In a Vickers Viscuont in 1964; my last flight was last week in a B733 CHC-AKL return. I have had about 50 International flights & innumerable domestic flights. The whole family is interested in aviation; at the moment, I have 2 brothers overseas, they will be back in CHC on Friday morning after being away for 4 weeks. So you can see I have a healthy interest in all things aviation for quite some time, although, I guess, not as long as some people on this site!  :-)

Offline blucenturion

« Reply #272 on: September 05, 2010, 12:34:21 PM »
I began using HF communications in the AF to receive and relay position reports to ATC from aircraft flying over the Caribbean, my next assignment took me to a new squadron where the comm. equipment hadn't fully been implemented before I left for Panama, where I ran phone patches to S. American capitals to U.S. Consulates and military missions. Next, to England for more HF air/ground communications, three years at that, then one year of MARS station work in GA, followed by UHF communications in Vietnam near the end of the conflict. At this point I re-trained into ATC, and worked a RAPCON in CA for eighteen months before going to work at an FAA tower, where I remained for twenty-one years. At the end of my AF career I began flight instructing, and recommended several students for their instrument check rides, as well as numerous private pilot recommendations. ATCs working as flight instructors was frowned upon by FAA, so I gave that interesting job up to concentrate on my new career. At present I am a daily user of X-Plane and I keep up my instrument skills in the B-787, a wonderfully maneuverable aircraft.

Glad to be here with such a diverse crowd. I learned about this place from my subscription to FlightAware newsletter.

Offline slack_plane

« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2010, 12:38:10 AM »
Dad was Army Air Corps, taught night instrument B-24 to lady ferry pilots, and primary in Ryan aircraft. I was eight when I could reach the rudder pedals and have been flying as I could afford it since. This site helps me a lot to slake that interest that just won't go away (are you gonig to play ball or just look at planes)

We'd like to get an idea of what careers or hobbies our listeners have.  What attracted you to this site and what might have caused you to be interested in listening to air traffic control communications?

We realize some of you may fall into multiple categories - just select the one you feel describes you best.

Thanks, and welcome to LiveATC.net!  I hope you enjoy the site.

Dave

Offline ClayNCT

« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »
I'm an air traffic controller at NorCal Tracon located in Mather, CA.  This is an awesome site.  I had no idea so many people were interested in atc pilot communications.