Author Topic: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!  (Read 492247 times)

Offline Twocky61

Re: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2014, 04:37:43 AM »
Live ATC Net is probably the best airband streaming site on line

There are many interesting ATC audio files including the whole fifteen minute audio from the Hudson River landing whereas elsewhere you only hear the main audio from Captain Sully to ATC

One file I have yet to find is the 1hr 30min audio from 9-11 where Cleveland Centre lose contact with the American Airlines flight which subsequently strikes WTC - The entire audio is available on YouTube and the typed transcript running to 45 A4 sheets is available on another site - also on YT is FDNY's audio but obviously that is not ATC related

So a big cheer for LiveATC Net - Thankyou for such a briiliant site

Not to forget the live ATC feeds, I notice Shannon & Dublin Eire are available to stream but no airport in the uk such as London Heathrow or London Gatwick for example - Is the reason this that uk ATC do not release their feeds for online streaming?

Thankyou again for providing Live ATC Net for aviation geeks such as me :-D

Nick Attwell (Twocky61)

Offline LHR2/3

« Reply #376 on: March 25, 2014, 05:38:20 PM »
It is technically illegal to listen to UK ATC. However, it is one of those laws rarely or perhaps never enforced judging by the hundreds of spotters who use their airband scanners for personal use. Of course, the authorities would take action if there was a single entity live-streaming transmissions over the 'net.

Offline RNC

« Reply #377 on: April 28, 2014, 12:13:05 AM »
Pilot here.  Not for a living, just privately for my own enjoyment (and money pit...)

This is by far the best site out there for students to learn ATC comm procedures with.  I used it extensively when I was a student.  I listened to Houston approach and Houston Hobby tower if I remember correctly, for hours and hours and hours when I was working on my PPL a few years back.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:18:23 AM by RNC »

Offline mlucido

« Reply #378 on: May 02, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »

I am a pilot's son - couldn't become a pilot as I am colorblind and can not pass the tests but I am interested in ATC. I listen to KLAS mostly  because I am also interested in Vegas  8-)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:22:36 PM by mlucido »

Offline jrpop1

« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2014, 02:36:02 AM »
 Hello to all. I'm Jim and new to the site. I'm not involved in the Aviation Industry but have always been interested in it. I've flown quite a bit commercial and military as a passenger when I was younger. I have a brother that has his private pilot's license and a cousin who is a retired Navy pilot.
 I live in the Memphis, TN area and am a casual scanner listener to air traffic control, public safety and some others. I'm a retired stationary engineer of 35 years.
 I look forward to reading here and learning. I probably won't have much to offer or to say unless I have a question, eyes and ears open, mouth shut  :-). Thanks for having me and y'all take care.

Offline Jonathank

« Reply #380 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »
I have been an FSS for 19 years now, partially an IFR fan. It always interests me to know how IFR controllers do their shift changes, manage, split/combine their workloads. Also, different FSS stations with varied levels of service and the meteorology aspect too. Once a year if possible, I listen to my own feeds from visiting the adjacent sector and follow the controllers' rotations. That's all for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trichorse

« Reply #381 on: July 30, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
I'm the relative of a former (retired) employee at the NTSB.  I find the different ways pilots verbally deal with the stress of emergency situations interesting.

Offline Lynch_Christopher

« Reply #382 on: August 01, 2014, 02:22:23 AM »
Currently a Operations Coordinator for Jetblue airways at their Station Operations Control Center at John F Kennedy International Airport in Terminal 5.  Majored in Aviation/Air Traffic Management.

Offline rustybugs11

« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »
Hi all!
Tell you about myself....retired USAF F-4 crew chief Almost 20 years ago (God, I am old). Did 17 years working the bent wing bug sucker. Just a fan of all you folks, pilots and controllers. I am slowly going through the archives to catch up on all the different situations that have happened and find the discussions very informative. Although, I must admit, when some of you really start with the technical stuff, I am lost. which is ok with me. I will not embarrass myself by asking a dumb question unless it would be relevant :oops:. Unfortunately, almost all of the older stuff, videos and links to the NTSB and FAA and other sites are no longer available to read or watch  :cry:
I am in Las Vegas, so I listen to KLAS tower and approach and have Flight Aware set to KLAS, but with a 8 to 10 minute delay on the visual depictions and actual ATC audio sucks but I understand the need for security ie the time lag. But is great to watch the landing and departure patterns.
Back in the early 70's, when I was living in Hawaii, I wanted to get my PPL but unfortunately, money was short due to a baby. Got 9 hours on a Cessna 150. Back then it was great doing touch and goes on Ford Island. Ah well, so it goes. Now I am 60 and still have the urge to learn flying but physically can't do it. So I do little flight sims and such.
So safe flying to all and to the controllers, WOW I have a much better understanding what you do and the stress you are under. Hats off to you. Much thanks to LiveATC.net for providing such a great site.

Offline trichorse

« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »
I was looking back at the voting options and saw "nervous flyer" and I thought "...the only thing I'm nervous about is missing my flight...and getting airsick."  I'm never getting on plane with rear-mounted engines again...especially if my seat is in the back of the plane.  Sorry, had to say it.

Offline danoriginie

« Reply #385 on: October 09, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
I am a retired watchmaker. I solo'ed age 16 and had my SEL since 1976. The Vagabond Club in KDEC was great. As an EAA affiliated club we did our maintenance (mostly). The club had a 1947 Clipper, as I remember 125hp in cub yellow with VFR radios. I enjoyed many cross country trips in the USA in this aircraft. The club also had a 1946 Vagabond, no electric system in cub yellow. It was a real treat to hand prop and fly to a grass strip for lunch. The Vagabond was $11/hr-wet, and the Clipper was $18/hr-wet in 2005. I never got a fright or embarrassed myself, although once I was with someone that ground looped the Vagabond.
I have since retired and moved to Australia; YBSU on the Sunshine Coast. Currently I am wrapping my thoughts toward building an aircraft on a budget (plans built). I have an airframe and power plant license. It's now in the planning stage so I can start with confidence when I know what will take place. Once I start it will be just to build it, and not worry about flying so much because I love building things. I also had an electronics interest and want to build my own radios, nav/com, GPS, and engine instruments. Gliding is of interest and I fly out of Caboulture Aeorodrome, but mostly just plane watch at YBSU, Maroochydore.
The site was interesting me to me because I was always interested in radios, and as a kid I had a shortwave radio to listen to HF aircraft over the Pacific. Flying and electronics are at the top of my play days.

Offline brittanyp

« Reply #386 on: October 14, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
I got into virtual airlines, listening to the virtual airline news flash.  I realized that my destiny lay in Georgia, so to enjoy the Georgia life, I started flying on FS2002 and eventually FSX.  In 2006, I moved to Georgia, landing a dream job that well, wasn't as dreamy as I imagined, but still exciting sometimes. 

Liveatc.net is great, because I can enjoy it with LiveATC chatter and my new VRInsight MCP panel.  Finally a good radio panel for my PMDG plane!  Once I figure out the program, I'll be enjoying FS more. 

Offline forensicgeek

• A grounded baby bird.
« Reply #387 on: October 27, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »
I'm currently a COM student but I've always had a love for aviation. When I was a kid I was fortunate enough to participate in the Wright Flight program in Tucson. At the end of the program we got to sit in the co-pilot seat of a Cessna and fly from TUS on tiny hops to various rural airports. Typically they took two kids in one plane, one flying out and the other in. Lucky for me (but unlucky for my classmate) the other kid on my flight got sick and didn't want to sit up front on the way back so I got to be up front both ways! It was super cool and definitely cemented my love of flying. I even had dreams of going into the air force after high school, but health complications sort of "grounded" me as it were. I still like to tinker around in flight sims though!

Offline FLLflyboy

« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
ATC at KBJC. Just received my CPC certification there :-)

Offline bugalou

Re: Re: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!
« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
Controller at Memphis Center
You may have made an appearance on my feed depending on your sector. :)

Offline Silvercrystal77

« Reply #390 on: January 24, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »
I just discovered LiveATC (much to the dismay of my family since I now listen to feed practically non-stop. LOL) but started out plane spotting at NAS Fort Worth JRB aka Carswell Airfield.  I have also worked at an aviation museum giving tours and helping out with maintenance on WWII bombers (B-17G and B-25) at Meacham and frequented Alliance Airport Fort Worth on the weekends to watch the military birds fly in from around the state.  I grew up about 15 minutes from IAH so that airport is like my home and have always loved watching the planes fly over our house.  I am excited to join the community:)

Offline mperry

« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2015, 09:17:25 PM »
Welcome to LiveATC, where we are all airplane geeks, so you will feel at home.

Offline mperry

« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2015, 09:30:51 PM »
Not sure if I ever introduced myself, so allow me.
I'm a video producer which I've been doing for about 15 years.
My love for aviation can be linked to a very young age, I've always live to watch airplanes, and love gazing into the sky and dream about being in the clouds. One day I would love to take my video production skills and combine it with aviation.
Also just started using a  DJI Phantom 2 Vision+  in my video production.

Offline spades

Re: Re: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!
« Reply #393 on: March 02, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »
Controller at Memphis Center
You may have made an appearance on my feed depending on your sector. :)

I don't think any of the sectors I work are on this site.

Offline spades

« Reply #394 on: March 02, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »
Not trying to split hairs on you Dave, but seeing "Air Traffic Controller (hobbyist, VATSIM, IVAO, etc.)" makes my skin crawl. It's like a guy who plays a lot of Call of Duty calling himself a soldier.

That makes your skin crawl? If they walk into a facility as a trainee and say they're ATC's because of VATSIM then they are going to get made fun of.  However,  this is a site that mostly has enthusiasts so it's no big deal. As is said time after time in real facilities, grow thicker skin.

I used to do VATSIM when I was a teenager. Looking back on it, I don't think it is particularly useful for real world application but it was fun and to try to belittle someone because they identify on this website as being a virtual controller is childish.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2015, 06:51:49 PM »
Not trying to split hairs on you Dave, but seeing "Air Traffic Controller (hobbyist, VATSIM, IVAO, etc.)" makes my skin crawl. It's like a guy who plays a lot of Call of Duty calling himself a soldier.

That makes your skin crawl? If they walk into a facility as a trainee and say they're ATC's because of VATSIM then they are going to get made fun of.  However,  this is a site that mostly has enthusiasts so it's no big deal. As is said time after time in real facilities, grow thicker skin.

I used to do VATSIM when I was a teenager. Looking back on it, I don't think it is particularly useful for real world application but it was fun and to try to belittle someone because they identify on this website as being a virtual controller is childish.

As I recall, the comment got all the attention it earned.  :-)

Offline Habibi

« Reply #396 on: May 08, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
Good evening, I wanted to ask myself what happens to your feed is down 1 LROP the day? I am a loyal listener the true and only can you listen to that feed can help me somehow related to that feed? Or you can do something again be above that feed? Have a great evening and I still answer from you.

Offline rtcapo

« Reply #397 on: June 23, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
Work in TV Commercial Production..been an aviation nut since I can remember. My uncle was a pilot, he use to fly us around the north east and Florida.

Took a flght from Hanscom to Boca Raton Florida one winter, great flight!

Re-starting my ppl journey, started in 1987. A lot of starts and stops. But the Lord informed it's a go...so who am I to argue with Him!

rtc

Offline GQSOUSA

« Reply #398 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:33 AM »
Hello!

I am new here :) from Montreal!... I often go watch them big jets land at the airport when I have chance!... anyone else here from Montreal?? :) talk soon!

Offline Twocky61

« Reply #399 on: July 24, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »
Just to say LiveATC Forum is totally brilliant with live streaming & interesting recordings. Two that stand out are the Hudson River Landing & the JFK Cream of Controllers recording where the controller transmits quickly without tripping up. I have 100 hours of 9-11 ATC/NORAD/NEATS recorded audio which is availble to download from a forum of the same name. Just Google 9-11 Forum and it should pop up
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:59:04 AM by Twocky61 »