Author Topic: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!  (Read 492180 times)

Offline DEN 777

Re: Which one of the following is you? Tell us about yourself!
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »
I listen to Live ATC because I enjoy the sound from Kona International Airport.  As a triathlete, it is my goal to get back to Kona for the Ironman World Championships, and listening to the feed from Kona brings back great memories of The Big Island.
In the past my jobs have had me travel to all corners of the contiguous 48 states, and I enjoy hearing the ATC from the places I have been.  For me, the flying was always the fun part. 
I also like to listen to places I haven't been, such as Australia. 
All in all, this is a great site!
Cheers!
Chris

Offline aalifk357

« Reply #326 on: January 08, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to the KATL feeds and where can I find them live online for FREE?

Offline TomCat4680

• Monitoring KFNT and beyond
    • My site
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »
Hi I'm Tom. Here's some info about me.

I've been listening to scanners for almost 13 years. Mostly public safety, utilities and railroads and of course ATC. I became interested in ATC monitoring back in 1999 when I'd listen to KFNT from my parents' house which is 5 miles from it with their 40' AGL high gain amplified directional TV antenna. Now I got my own place 15 miles from it and I've recently been visiting it and other major airports in the state in the car while monitoring their ATC. I'm here to learn more about ATC monitoring and equipment that'll improve my reception; and meet some new friends too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:00:06 PM by TomCat4680 »

Offline Solent Radar

« Reply #328 on: January 20, 2012, 05:55:01 AM »
I put myself as a Ham Radio operator, although my licence has lapsed .

Got my first 'airband' radio in the early 1980's. It was an Amstrad thing that had an extended FM broadcast band to allow 'slope' detection of the AM aircraft signals.

A red tuning light would light up on strong aircraft signals - that would always cause great excitement as a kid, as I lived 40 miles from an airport at the time and away from usual flight paths. I remember receiving the Queens Flight 'Kitty' on that at one time as I lived near Sandringham.

Most notable RX transmissions;

Final transatlantic flight of Concorde coming over Bristol Filton . Managed to receive the BBC News interview with the Pilot.

Receiving the M.I.R. Russian space craft as it passed overhead - actually, this was quite common, but the 'doppler' shift was interesting to hear on RX.

Listening to the Red Arrows 9 display at Bournemouth UK last Summer, then hearing the first report of the downed Arrow (and sad loss of pilot), whilst watching 'Shipfinder' to see progress of both Coastguard rescue helicopter on route to the scene from Portland and Lee-on-Solent.

Local airport is Bournemouth International (Hurn) airport UK.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:00:54 AM by Solent Radar »

Offline Zau_Lew

« Reply #329 on: February 15, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
My wife and I like to listen to the folks at C90 while we're barbequing in the backyard. 

ZAU here.

Offline w7psk

« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »
Good Day
I'm an avid user of Live ATC for couple years now and figured Id join in and see about giving back by providing the local airport. I use
live ATC at Boeing Field in Seattle (KBFI) when I'm down there testing and I like to set at the runway end and listen to the
tower on Live ATC.

My work is currently as a Boeing Avionics Systems Engineer at Paine Field (KPAE) and Ham Radio operator for 35 years. 

I am trying to garner enough info to provide Paine Field to Live ATC as its the home of the Boeing Large
Aircraft Division( 747, 767, 777 and 787)

Offline DaisyUK

« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2012, 03:11:28 PM »
Hello!

Well I couldn't tick any of the choices listed and  I'm not in anyway associated with the work of aviation (manager for a financial services company)

But I do love flying (both for work and for pleasure)  I *was* a nervous passenger but after completing a course I'm not bothered by turbulence etc anymore so I can now fly all over the world which is great.  I'm really interested in most aspects of civil aviation and I stumbled upon this site from Flyer Talk. 

I especially like listening to the traffic at Eham - the controllers are so calm and pleasant - the KLM pilots too.  Infact I just got back from AMS today and decided to log on and listen only to find the link broken  :-(

Hope its back soon! 

MANY thanks to everyone who gives their time so generously to provide the services on this web site - its much appreciated!

Daisy

Offline C1202

« Reply #332 on: February 28, 2012, 03:52:45 AM »
HI I am a ham radio operator (for 7 years) who got interested in ATC listening in the last year. I started listening to ATC frequencies  on a remote radio receiver website and then came over here to LiveATC. I like listening to LSZH and LSGG .

Offline squawkzip42

« Reply #333 on: April 09, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
Hey all!
Long time listener of the airwaves, favorites include JFK, PIT, and DCA. I am a student pilot and I am starting ATC school this May.

Love the site!

Steve

Offline Delta741

• Checkin' in
« Reply #334 on: April 15, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »

I especially like listening to the traffic at Eham - the controllers are so calm and pleasant - the KLM pilots too. 

I love KLM pilots. There's often a few at JFK.
I still find the time to drop in on one of the approach frequencies at JFK, quite entertaining.

Considering training to become an air traffic controller. Have given up on my goal of saving enough money to get a pilot license for the time being, so my previous post on this thread can be discounted.  :-)

Offline RonR

« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been feeding the ZBW/ZNY/ZDC (JFK Area) NY Feed for several months now and am very happy to be providing it.

I've been a private pilot for over 20 years and have been listening to aviation communications on scanners and HF radios for decades.  I grew up in NYC and would, on occasion, travel to JFK by local buses just to watch the planes take off and land from the parking lot atop the PanAm terminal (now Delta).  It provided a great view of the airport.  Sadly, you can't go up there anymore.  I even once rode my bicycle to JFK and sat under one of the runway 13R approach light towers about 200 yds from the runway threshold.  Now that was an experience...

Now I live out on Long Island just out of range of JFK so I can only hear the pilot's side of communications on my scanner.  Thanks to this site I can hear it all!

Regards, Ron

Offline swampdog

« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
Private Pilot since 1976

Offline denverpilot

« Reply #337 on: June 23, 2012, 02:53:47 AM »
KAPA Tower feed guy.

Fly a 182.

Have (or had?) an aviation podcast. Trying to decide.

Hi. Nice to meet ya. ;)

Offline LadyFlyer

• Private Pilot - own a Cherokee 160
« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
Private Pilot.  Recently purchased my first airplane and am returning to aviation after 10 years on the ground.  Need to dust off the cobwebs a little.

Offline WilliamJSS

« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
PPL, Vatsim, Family man.

Father of two and one more on the way. As life has happened and kids are growing at the speed of light, I find that the money that used to go to my local 72 is now going to the family.

After searching YouTube one day for ATC chatter I ran across VatSim videos and the rest was history. Vatsim in turn led me here.

Offline muzyck

« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2012, 03:40:02 PM »
I live on the path for the flights coming into JFK from Europe. Many moons ago I used to listen to the communications coming out of Ronkonkoma on my multi band while watching the traffic stacked up over eastern Long Island. Times have changed. The days of watching all of those 747s at the same time are long gone. My career path took me into the industry briefly, but I am now in the Financial services industry. I still live in the same area and can look out the window from my home office and see the flights come in while listening here and using FlightAware as a rference. Last few days have been interesting. Seems as if the ROBER frequency 125.7 has been compromised by interference in the form of music and a bunch of flights that would normally come in west of JFK have been sent east for a 180 in front of my office. I have never seen this before today. Cool stuff.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:45:35 PM by muzyck »

Offline bikergeek

« Reply #341 on: October 10, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
I have been using MS Flight Sim for probably 20 years. Never took any real flying lessons but find flight very exciting. Have been up in small aircraft several times and really enjoy it. No fear for me!

Been listening to airport frequencies for several decades. I'm on my third or fourth scanner, starting with a Bearcat 110; probably one of the first programmable scanners. It was great.

Now using a Radio Shack Pro-160 digital handheld and I just signed up and in test mode as a "backup" feed for KFRG Republic in Farmingdale, NY USA.

BTW, I have no idea what a VATSIM is. Help!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:12:16 PM by bikergeek »

Offline Safe T.

« Reply #342 on: December 28, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »
Hello, everyone! I'm an ATCO in Lviv ACC,  :mrgreen:Ukraine. I do enjoy aviation spotting much. Also I passionately dedicate some time to MFS using b737 classic, trying to make it by the book(in my eyes, it does make a good sense even for my profession). Thank you, The "LiveATC.net" Founders and Managers!You have a splendid idea came true years ago with this kind of source! No doubt you have lots of thanx from the likes of me, but could anyone promote the idea of the iPhone LiveATC App being free :evil:?

Offline FLLflyboy

« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2013, 12:51:18 AM »
Hello

I am a real-world ATC at an airport in the Caribbean. I have been an avid Flight Simmer for years, started getting involved with FSX communities, and eventually found my way onto LiveATC. I graduated CTI a few years after I received my Bachelors, got picked up as a controller over the summer and would love to eventually earn my PPL. Until then, I am excited to see where my new career will take me.

Offline CaptainChris

• TWO DIMENSIONAL NAVIGATOR
« Reply #344 on: January 23, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
Airplane enthusiast - many models as a kid in the 60s.  Now a large boat driver.
My son drives a C-17 & teaches T-1s for USAF - he turned me onto this iApp - lovin it !
GREAT STUPH!

BTW: Any idea where the feed for Del Rio INTL went ?

Thanks for bein here !

C/Chris

Offline KeithB

« Reply #345 on: January 23, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »
Hi Folks

I am a Brit living in Dubai, where I gained a PPL in 1998. Haven't flown for a long time but hopefully will revalidate everything sometime this year. Normally fly a PA-28-161 out of OMDB.

All the best

Keith

Offline GauzeGuy

« Reply #346 on: February 02, 2013, 01:35:27 AM »
'twas nice to reset my vote from student pilot to private pilot. However, just started on the instrument rating so it feels like I'm back to student pilot

AKA: clearedtoXZYairportviaWhaever4departuredirectXZYVORthenasfiledClimbAndMaintain8000expect10000,10minutesAfterDepartureDpeartureFrequency123.45squawk1234 -- or so it sounds like!

Offline N90-EWR-TX

« Reply #347 on: April 16, 2013, 03:41:50 AM »
22+ years as a controller at the New York Tracon. I've been lurking for a while, though only registered recently.

Offline MugRootbeerdude#7

« Reply #348 on: April 19, 2013, 09:31:47 PM »
We'd like to get an idea of what careers or hobbies our listeners have.  What attracted you to this site and what might have caused you to be interested in listening to air traffic control communications?

We realize some of you may fall into multiple categories - just select the one you feel describes you best.

Thanks, and welcome to LiveATC.net!  I hope you enjoy the site.

Dave

me well i love to fly and i know live atc can put me on my toes to learn Weather reports and so on and so fourth!

Offline bugalou

« Reply #349 on: May 28, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
I play a little Flight Simulator X, and just enjoy aviation in general.  I would like to try and get my pilot's license at some point when my life calms down some.  I host the LiveATC feeds for Memphis (KMEM) and Atlantic City (KACY).  Otherwise professionally, am an IT architect for a fortune 500 company with about 12 years experience in the IT field.