airtraffic

Author Topic: Why would a Pilot want to call Ground Control at JFK  (Read 7787 times)

Offline joebone1

Why would a Pilot want to call Ground Control at JFK
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »
I just heard a pilot ask a ground controller for a phone number so he could call a supervisor for ground control?

Just curious what they might talk about.

Offline athaker

Re: Why would a Pilot want to call Ground Control at JFK
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »
Search around and listen to some of the other clips here from JFK ground and maybe that'll give a possible clue  :-P

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »
lol...

kea001

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »
Jetblue 602 -

The Captain either wanted to complain about the flashing lights on the taxiway
which everyone was complaining about for 1/2 hour+ OR
he thought that the ground controller was making a pass at the female first officer OR
He wanted to complain that it took 1/2 hour to get to the gate OR
something totally unrelated to anything on the audio.

The flashing lights may have something to do with the following:

JFK Delay Reduction Program
06/11/2009

With the upcoming awarding of the JFK Airport Runway Reconstruction Contract on June 26 and start of construction shortly thereafter, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will implement the second phase of its $376.3 million JFK Delay Reduction Program, a time-saving plan designed to provide easier access from taxiways to terminal gates.

• the work will begin in June and is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2011. Runway 13R-31L, which is the airport’s main runway, will be closed for 120 days between March and June of 2010.
  • the work is slated to be done between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. to minimize traffic disruptions.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20329576&BRD=2731&PAG=461&dept_id=574908&rfi=6

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:06:16 PM by kea001 »

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the "Delay Reduction Program" requires closing a runway?

Offline atcman23

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the "Delay Reduction Program" requires closing a runway?

We're talking about an FAA program.  Expect the unexpected.

I think their motto should read: "Expect the Unexpected to happen even slower than you imagine"

Kind of sums everything up: Unexpected things happen as they move at a snail's pace to fix those problems.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I think it's the other way around. The closing of the runway requires the "delay reduction program."

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »

Obviously, you have not been paying attention  :-) .  Runways have nothing to do with delays.  It's all about the satellites.  If NextGen was in place, there would be no delays due to reduced airport runway capacity.  My friend, Don Brown says it more eloquently http://gettheflick.blogspot.com/2009/06/kathryn-is-clueless-too.html

w0x0f

Offline joebone1

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »
Jetblue 602 -

The Captain either wanted to complain about the flashing lights on the taxiway
which everyone was complaining about for 1/2 hour+ OR
he thought that the ground controller was making a pass at the female first officer OR
He wanted to complain that it took 1/2 hour to get to the gate OR
something totally unrelated to anything on the audio.

The flashing lights may have something to do with the following:

JFK Delay Reduction Program
06/11/2009

With the upcoming awarding of the JFK Airport Runway Reconstruction Contract on June 26 and start of construction shortly thereafter, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will implement the second phase of its $376.3 million JFK Delay Reduction Program, a time-saving plan designed to provide easier access from taxiways to terminal gates.

• the work will begin in June and is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2011. Runway 13R-31L, which is the airport’s main runway, will be closed for 120 days between March and June of 2010.
  • the work is slated to be done between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. to minimize traffic disruptions.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20329576&BRD=2731&PAG=461&dept_id=574908&rfi=6

this was the conversation I was listening to when I asked the question
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:00:50 PM by joebone1 »

Offline joebone1

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:03:57 PM »

Obviously, you have not been paying attention  :-) .  Runways have nothing to do with delays.  It's all about the satellites.  If NextGen was in place, there would be no delays due to reduced airport runway capacity.  My friend, Don Brown says it more eloquently http://gettheflick.blogspot.com/2009/06/kathryn-is-clueless-too.html

w0x0f

I'm not an expert, but the delays at JFK are caused by weather, reroutes, load on the airport, and departures being either closed over certain vectors (?) or restrictions over certain areas.  I did hear a controller complaining that the person doing the reroutes wasn't holding up his end either.  Just my take after listening to jFK for about 8 months.