Author Topic: Wil this be enough?  (Read 5497 times)

Offline mb.montgomery

Wil this be enough?
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
I NEED YOUR HELP
I live 5-8 miles from the Executive Airport down in Charleston, SC (KJZI) I was hoping to open a Feed of the unicom there. Is there anyway that anyone here would know if this would be able to recieve it? If not does anyone know of a better one?

http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_Bearcat_SC230_Police_Scanner_Radio_Package_p/01-721093.htm

Thanks,

Matthew[flash=200,200][/flas[/img]h]

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Wil this be enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:43:02 PM »
I live almost 10 miles with at least one relatively minor rolling hill between my house and the Syracuse airport and I am able to receive tower, departure/approach, most airborne aircraft, and even some of the larger ground-based aircraft. 

The key to good reception in my installation's case is an outdoor j-pole antenna that is tuned to the median of the frequencies I am scanning and is mounted about 25 feet up on the side of the house.  Also, I am connecting this antenna to the scanner via a low-loss Belden 9913 coax cable.

Assuming you have the ability to mount an antenna outside and have a relatively clear line of sight to the airport you should discover the same success.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Wil this be enough?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:48:06 PM »
Oh, and is there a specific reason why you need a hand-held?  Are you looking to use the scanner periodically as a hand-held away from your home?

If not, save yourself about $80 (almost 50%) and choose this model, which is a popular Uniden scanner for feeders here.