airtraffic

Author Topic: Will this scanner reiceive a signal of up to 15 miles.  (Read 7307 times)

Offline HeathrowATC

Will this scanner reiceive a signal of up to 15 miles.
« on: July 31, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »
Well i Live 15 mile from EGLL and am going to buy this scanner      to listen to EGLL tower and Co.http://www.radioscan.co.uk/uniden_ubc30xlt.html
Will this scanner pick up the freq.

Please Help me as this will be great to help me develop my ATC skills.
Thanks Robbie.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Re: Will this scanner reiceive a signal of up to 15 miles.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 10:00:20 AM »
You will prob need to buy an antenna, and mount it outside  :-)

Offline ORD Don

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 11:55:42 AM »

The scanner will pick up all the frequencies you need, but from that distance
   you will probably hear the pilots in the air but not the tower. You can hear
   all that if you drive close to the airport or get a better antenna, as Lezam said.

Glad to have you with us...

Offline edro20

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:48:22 PM »
I am 6 NM from my airport and have trouble receiving aircraft on the ground. The tower is almost always hearable, but there is no guarantee that I can hear any transmision on any day. I did manage to hear a Piper Comanche from 35 miles south of the airport recently. Stay cool and legal.

Offline HeathrowATC

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:55:37 AM »
Oh I Suspected that LOL.

Offline Panop

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 02:37:16 PM »
The issue is less likely to be range than line of sight.  Most half decent receivers will pick up transmissions from quite long distances if the transmitting station (fixed or mobile) has reasonable power - and most aircraft and aviation fixed stations have - though some will be more powerful than others.  However, any obstruction to radio waves such as hills, some buildings, vehicles, etc - even the curvature of the earth - will reduce or eliminate any chance of reasonable reception.  Some careful positioning of your receiver and antenna with a bit of trial and error may help and if you are right on the margin of the reception area you may find some days are better than others as even atmospheric conditions can play a part.

Offline HeathrowATC

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 05:17:06 PM »
Im directly Below the Glide slope and turning point for 27R currently my house to the airport is a magnetic bearing of 272 the same as the runway.

Offline edro20

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:17:50 PM »
I imagine that you should be able to receive anything if you have no geographic obstructions and no interference (i.e. TV, Commercial Radio, etc.).  I am guessing that this will be an antenna/filter problem. Get the antenna as far above ground as possible.