Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 12:16:34 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Listener Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Yemeni Plane Crash, 150 Aboard
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yemeni Plane Crash, 150 Aboard  (Read 4951 times)
joeyb747

Nothing Like A 747!

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:11:32 PM »

"A petrol spill was found some 17 miles from Moroni, the Islands’ capital where the plane was heading, and several bodies have already been recovered. It seems weather conditions were rough during the landing approach, with strong winds and high seas, but it is unknown what exactly caused the plane to crash."

From this article:

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/2009070159698/news/international/sole-survivor-of-yemenia-flight-626-speaks-out.html

"They apparently tried to land once – but aborted the approach – turning around in a “black hole” – itself a perilous maneuver - especially for a crew that would be a bit rattled and distracted by their predicament – and were, no doubt, dog tired after a long day of flying."

From the Miles O'Brien article Dave linked to...

Regardless of the airplanes maintenance history, and the fact the the airplane itself was not allowed in European airspace (7O-ADJ was on the "Black List"), the airplane was sound. The aircraft had been in service with this airline since 1999, and performed about 17,300 cycles. The weather was bad. The crew was tired. The precision approach was on the other end of the runway, but the winds didn't allow them to approach form the opposite direction.

"It is the perfect recipe for losing focus on your gauges – and forgetting which way is up – and how far is down."

The last line in the Miles O'Brien article (above) stands out to me. I think Crew Fatigue and Bad Weather will be the predominant factors in this case. The fact that the precision approach is on the other end of the runway will be a factor as well. They were flying blind.

I am not making a CAUSE prediction here. I think there are way too many unanswered questions at this point. But I do think "Mechanical Failure" is less likely then "Weather" or "Crew Error".

And, yes, I agree with jonnevin, Miles O'Brien does put together nice articles.

Aircraft Mechanic
EdGeneer

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »

My earlier comment was NOT about airbus or boeing, per-say. It was pointed at the airline. I do realize that there was fatigue and weather involved, but I make these statements from my disrespect and contempt for the accountants and board-members that ruin integrity of any company for the profits and responsibilities to 'shareholders' rather than clients or the general public. (regardless of whether or not this airline is publicly traded) I know this is a rant for another forum for another day. I'm just stating that i am saddened, but not surprised when profit costs people lives... that's all...

I dont trust ANY company, because the bottom line ALWAYS takes front row... always.....  I hate to be cynical, but I see it everywhere.... and i'm sure there are countless employees that work for these companies that take their jobs and responsibilities so seriously, and are often handcuffed by higher up offices that simply want it to look good on the books....

Ill stop... no-one want to hear me rant...

Amazing story about the little girl that clung to stay alive in the darkness... I cant begin to imagine the experience...

mikenftsmith

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »

I guess we could go on guessing about the cause of the crash,but until the flight data recorder is examined none of us really knows what went on in the flight deck. The weather according to the METAR was vfr,yes it would have been nice to have a VASI or perhaps a LOC BC or a GPS WAAS on this dark windy night but this should have been an experienced flight crew that should have made many night landings without the above aids.If the crew was tired they could have had the AP do the missed approach flying,was there something on the runway,maybe an electronic wind shear warning see there i go off guessing undecided,lets hope they can examine the recorders. 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length