airtraffic

Author Topic: Yemeni Plane Crash, 150 Aboard  (Read 11905 times)

Offline ChrisKJXN

Yemeni Plane Crash, 150 Aboard
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/29/yemen.plane.crash/index.html

No details known yet, but it doesn't look good.

Offline kyle172

Airbus A310 crashes in Indian Ocean (Source) Aljazeera
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:14:22 PM »

Yemeni plane crashes off Comoros 

An airliner belonging to the Yemeni state airline has crashed off the Indian ocean archipelago of Comoros.

The plane was carrying 150 passengers and crew, according to the Reuters news agency.

"We don't know if there are any survivors among the 150 people on the plane," Idi Nadhoim, the Comoros vice-president, told Reuters from the airport in the capital Moroni.

He said the accident happened in the early hours of Tuesday, but had no further details.

A Comoran police official said the aircraft was believed to have come down in the sea, but that the country has no sea rescue capabilities.

The Comoros covers three small volcanic islands situated 300km northwest of Madagascar and a similar distance east of the African mainland.

According to the Yemenia website, the airline uses the Airbus A310 aircraft on the route between Moroni and the Yemeni capital, Sana'a.

Offline bibi

Re: Airbus A310 crashes in Indian Ocean (Source) Aljazeera
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:36 AM »
By now they have found at least one survivor. (bbc news)

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:49:05 AM »
One survivor comfirmed. A child has been found:

"CAIRO — A Comoros police official says a child has been rescued from the sea in the Airbus 310 crash off the Indian Ocean island."

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090630/ML.Yemen.Plane.Crash/

Details seem few at this point, not even a flight number.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »
This is not the year for Airbus aircraft.  But landing in high winds isn't exactly a great idea, either.

Offline bigguy_132

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:59:39 AM »
This is Yemenia Airways flight 626 that crashed. The crash happened around 1:30 AM local time. More info about the flight here. http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/30/yemen.plane.crash/index.html

Offline jonnevin

Re: Yemeni Plane Crash, 150 Aboard
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »
This really has absolutely nothing to do with Airbus. This could have been any of the older generation high time airframes that are in service for 3rd world airlines. To even begin to compare this with the A330 crash by AF is simply inaccurate.

Also, when only two aircraft manufacturers dominate 90% of the airline business, it's fairly inevitable that most tragedies are going to involves these two manufacturers.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »
True, but we LIKE to take potshots at large companies that accept profit over comfort and even safety. An industry that takes years to impliment measures that save lives because its considered too costly and wait for a few more full loads of a/c to go down to do anything about it. I heard a term, 'tombstone technology' referred to the faa and the airline business repeatedly in the past.

I feel for the families of this plane crash as well as crashes in the past. It never a good thing to hear when they go down.  Profit is a nasty thing, we all want to maximize it, regardless of the wealth of the country who spawns the airline, but ofcourse when it risks lives, its only a matter of time before it catches up and reaps what is sewn.

As always, my prayers go out to those closely touched by this.....

Offline jonnevin

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 01:20:46 PM »
I don't quite follow how this crash anything to do with Airbus putting off safety for profit.

This is a model that has been in service for 3 decades and has been a reliable workhorse in the industry. It has proven to be one of the safest models operating and continues to see widespread service throughout the world.

Pinning blame on Airbus for this wreck seems a bit out of place. Are we going to ignore the fact that this specific airframe had been cited for inadequate maintenance or that it was landing in treacherous weather conditions. I'm not going to specifically say that this might be Yemen Airline's fault, but there is a long and lengthy history of 3rd world airlines like this that simply are not as safe to fly due to inadequate maintenance or flight crews not being as skilled. Mind you this is an airline with currently 10 planes, that has just lost its 3rd plane in the last nine years due to accident -  to me, that doesn't put the aircraft manufacturer at the top of my list for possible causes

Offline atcman23

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »
Sorry if I came across that way.  And no, you're right, this crash has nothing to do with the manufacturer.  They've just had a lot of incidents this year and it's just not being a good year to them.

In no way whatsoever would I blame this accident on the manufacturer at this point (and in this accident, it doesn't appear to be an airframe issue).  I don't know who came up with the AF accident and how it compares to this accident, but I certainly did not imply that.  These are two completely different airframes and they have little in common with each other.

I am aware that Airbus and Boeing hold almost the entire market and that most large accidents like this would likely fall with one of the two manufacturers.  So again, I am not blaming Airbus for anything at all and I apologize if I came across that way.  I was just simply stating that Airbus just hasn't had a good year so far.  I do agree with some other comments on  3rd world airlines and the safety of foreign air carriers to follow manufacturer and government safety requirements.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »
Looks like only one survivor so far...

"A 14-year-old girl was found alive in the sea, Comoros Communications Minister Abdourahim Said Bakar said. Earlier reports had said the rescued child was five."

They seem to be focusing on maintenance issues:

"French Transport Minister Dominique Bussereau said faults had been detected during inspections in France in 2007 on the Yemenia A310, and that it had not flown to France since.

"The A310 in question was inspected in 2007 by the DGAC (French transport authorities) and they noticed a certain number of faults," he told the I-tele television channel."

...and this...

"Yemen's transport minister said the plane was thoroughly checked in May under Airbus supervision.

"It was a comprehensive inspection carried out in Yemen ... with experts from Airbus," Khaled Ibrahim al-Wazeer told Reuters from Sanaa. "It was in line with international standards."

The EU suspended permission for Yemenia to maintain EU-registered planes in February after it failed a set of audit inspections, the EU's aviation safety agency told Reuters in Brussels."

All from this article:

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20090630/INTERNATIONAL-US-COMOROS-CRASH/

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »
This article has about the same info:

"(CNN) -- The airline operating an Airbus A310-300 jet that crashed in the Indian Ocean on Tuesday with 153 people aboard was being monitored by EU authorities, according to France's transport minister."

...and...

"Yemenia Air had used the jet since 1999, on about 17,300 flights, Airbus officials said. The company said it would assist in investigating the crash."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/30/yemen.plane.crash.safety/index.html

Here is a pic of the airplane involved in the crash. A very smart looking airplane.
Airbus A310-324 7O-ADJ (Seven Oscar - Alpha Delta Juliet) (cn 535):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Yemenia---Yemen/Airbus-A310-324/1335070/L/&sid=428e2ffd6b2ef55e5f40f2e8d3a262e7

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »

Offline bibi

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »
"The teenage girl who survived the Comoros plane crash by clinging to a piece of debris is recovering well in hospital. Bahia Bakari, a 13-year-old Franco-Comoran who lives in Paris, escaped with only a fractured collarbone and cuts to her face after the Yemenia Airbus A310-300 carrying 153 people plunged into the Indian Ocean at 2amyesterday .

Bahia's father, Kassim Bakari, told France's RTL radio in Paris that he had spoken to his daughter, who can barely swim, about the moments after the crash.

"She couldn't feel anything and found herself in the water. She heard people speaking around her but she couldn't see anyone in the darkness," he said. "She's a very timid girl, I never thought she would escape like that
."

Lets hope there are more survivers..

(taken from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/01/yemenia-plane-crash-survivor )

Offline jonnevin

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Dave, That is a great article by Miles...really sums it up. thanks

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:11:32 PM »
"A petrol spill was found some 17 miles from Moroni, the Islands’ capital where the plane was heading, and several bodies have already been recovered. It seems weather conditions were rough during the landing approach, with strong winds and high seas, but it is unknown what exactly caused the plane to crash."

From this article:

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/2009070159698/news/international/sole-survivor-of-yemenia-flight-626-speaks-out.html

"They apparently tried to land once – but aborted the approach – turning around in a “black hole” – itself a perilous maneuver - especially for a crew that would be a bit rattled and distracted by their predicament – and were, no doubt, dog tired after a long day of flying."

From the Miles O'Brien article Dave linked to...

Regardless of the airplanes maintenance history, and the fact the the airplane itself was not allowed in European airspace (7O-ADJ was on the "Black List"), the airplane was sound. The aircraft had been in service with this airline since 1999, and performed about 17,300 cycles. The weather was bad. The crew was tired. The precision approach was on the other end of the runway, but the winds didn't allow them to approach form the opposite direction.

"It is the perfect recipe for losing focus on your gauges – and forgetting which way is up – and how far is down."

The last line in the Miles O'Brien article (above) stands out to me. I think Crew Fatigue and Bad Weather will be the predominant factors in this case. The fact that the precision approach is on the other end of the runway will be a factor as well. They were flying blind.

I am not making a CAUSE prediction here. I think there are way too many unanswered questions at this point. But I do think "Mechanical Failure" is less likely then "Weather" or "Crew Error".

And, yes, I agree with jonnevin, Miles O'Brien does put together nice articles.

Offline EdGeneer

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »
My earlier comment was NOT about airbus or boeing, per-say. It was pointed at the airline. I do realize that there was fatigue and weather involved, but I make these statements from my disrespect and contempt for the accountants and board-members that ruin integrity of any company for the profits and responsibilities to 'shareholders' rather than clients or the general public. (regardless of whether or not this airline is publicly traded) I know this is a rant for another forum for another day. I'm just stating that i am saddened, but not surprised when profit costs people lives... that's all...

I dont trust ANY company, because the bottom line ALWAYS takes front row... always.....  I hate to be cynical, but I see it everywhere.... and i'm sure there are countless employees that work for these companies that take their jobs and responsibilities so seriously, and are often handcuffed by higher up offices that simply want it to look good on the books....

Ill stop... no-one want to hear me rant...

Amazing story about the little girl that clung to stay alive in the darkness... I cant begin to imagine the experience...

Offline mikenftsmith

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »
I guess we could go on guessing about the cause of the crash,but until the flight data recorder is examined none of us really knows what went on in the flight deck. The weather according to the METAR was vfr,yes it would have been nice to have a VASI or perhaps a LOC BC or a GPS WAAS on this dark windy night but this should have been an experienced flight crew that should have made many night landings without the above aids.If the crew was tired they could have had the AP do the missed approach flying,was there something on the runway,maybe an electronic wind shear warning see there i go off guessing :|,lets hope they can examine the recorders.