Author Topic: Your favorite feed and why?  (Read 17493 times)

Offline PHL Approach

Your favorite feed and why?
« on: June 30, 2005, 07:19:26 AM »
Just thought of this just a few moments ago. I was watching the numbers for the Philly feeds and was wondering who was listening. Basically just post the area you live in 'Not exact town if you feel uncomfortable' then post your favorite feed to listen to and some reasons why you like listening to it. I simply want to know if people that listen to the feeds more or less live close to the airport that they like to listen to or if they come from all over, and I would like to hear the reasons why people like a certain feed.

I'll start, obviously I live in Philly. My favorite feeds are both of the PHL feeds but primarily the Tracon feed. I like the Philly feeds because I learned the operations/ vectors by listening to just traffic off my scanner prior to the feeds being put up, so now I can finally hear the controllers. I love to listen alot because I know alot of controllers down there and like to hear them. And as for the Tracon being my favorite feed, just that I like Final Approach sector operations and pure radar operations in general

You don't have to write as much as me, but let's hear from ya.....

BTW, please everyone participate if you can  :D

Offline m50

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 07:30:49 AM »
Hi PHL...I am one of your listners   based in Dublin Ireland. I run your  feed whie looking in on the two Phl WebCams   and try and match the visual action to your stream!!...Regards  M50

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 07:36:02 AM »
Quote from: m50
Hi PHL...I am one of your listners   based in Dublin Ireland. I run your  feed whie looking in on the two Phl WebCams   and try and match the visual action to your stream!!...Regards  M50

FYI...

The PHL feeds are actually sponsored by a private donor of equipment.
The equipment lives right at KPHL...two scanners and a Linux box with two sound cards.

Dave

Offline mattkbdl

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 10:04:07 AM »
I like listening to the Boston feeds because I know a guy in the tower and at Massport.  I think the best times are during snow storms when the controllers are really showing us their expertise.  I try to find the planes on passur after I hear them on the feed.  I realize the delay but it usually isn't too hard.  Thanks Dave for running this fantastic site!

Offline nfredrich

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 01:37:04 PM »
Milwaukee  8)

Becasue of all the IFR practice approaches at Kenosha, Racine, and Waukesha.

Between 0800-2200 lcl there is never a dull moment on the departure frequencies as they handle the class D/G approaches

Offline liffey2alpha

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 01:39:36 PM »
Dublin....its busy all day and its local  :D

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 02:32:35 PM »
love the INDY feed unfortunately it is down untill who knows when. Loved it cause i woulh hear certain NY area flights way out west before entering either cle airspace and flights going into the Potomac tracon also as well as the dubuque feed at times. I love my HIGH LEVEL listening to ARTCC.Airport wise is anybody just to get an idea of frequencies used in certain areas that either milair,freq of nature,microvolt radio have either not on their list or inaccuracies listed. I have all my NACO charts at home and all afd's of everything east of the miss river as well as all ARTCC sector maps(been listening since i was 10 years old and I am now 40)

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Your favorite feed and why?
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 01:41:09 PM »
Quote from: PHL_Approach
BTW, please everyone participate if you can  :D

Any feed that has a line of strong thunderstorms or snowstorm about to move into the region.  :)    I first check the US national radar, then locate the closest feed to the strong storms.

Over the last few weeks or so I have been listening to Syracuse, Detroit, NY, and Boston, all just before a strong line moved over their airports.

"Attention all aircraft, microburst alert, plus 38 knots, three miles off the approach end of runway 15.  Winds at the airport now 25 kts peak gusts 57."

"Approach, Northwest XXX, diverting to Cleveland."

Good stuff.

Offline JetBlue

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 03:49:36 PM »
Why, JFK of course. I like tracking flights with AirNav, and since I live in Dutchess County, obviously I can't hear the tower down there, so I listen to the feed and wait until the traffic is passed to NY Center. I can hear Huguenot up, both sides, up here. Plus, I track when the aircraft use ACARS. Then I wait for HF... :D

Offline Fred Clausen

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 07:27:59 PM »
I'm partial to your ZNY feed Ed.  Good stuff you have.

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2005, 01:12:27 AM »
forgot to mention tons of ORD AND MDW, AND MKE TRAFFIC GOING TO THE SE US and back makes it a great feed. Matt get that feed back up and soon :cry:

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 09:31:55 AM »
Up for the weekend. ;)

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
BOS CD/GC
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 12:17:37 PM »
Boston Clearance and Ground is my favorite feed.  The controllers at Boston are great and the pilots are always on their toes.

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 05:59:12 PM »
All the Boston feeds, they are crisp, clear, and busy.  

Detroit is another one I like, great quality; busy.  Same goes for CVG, though a strictly ramp/ground/tower feed would be plenty busy and easier to follow.

Offline Jonathan_tcu

Multiple feeds are my fav's
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 07:56:47 AM »
My favorite is Toronto Center during off peak periods, because the repeaters are merged (if that's the right term) so I can monitor the traffic over souther locations south me, where I don't get that opportunity during peak periods.  During the overnight, I like Montreal ACC since I can hear the 2 minute long oceanic clearances.

Offline java146

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 03:39:09 PM »
Favorite feeds here are KORL, KOSU, and some of the smaller fields... (haven't gotten a chance to listen to them all!)  Wish we still had a KMCO...

Quote from: AmericaWestCMH

Detroit is another one I like, great quality; busy.  Same goes for CVG, though a strictly ramp/ground/tower feed would be plenty busy and easier to follow.

I have everything set up to break out CVG, but I am investigating another antenna and some interference problems.  When I get those worked out, I'll ask Dave to put them up...

- Bill

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2005, 07:19:32 AM »
Quote from: java146
Favorite feeds here are KORL, KOSU, and some of the smaller fields... (haven't gotten a chance to listen to them all!)  Wish we still had a KMCO...

Quote from: AmericaWestCMH

I have everything set up to break out CVG, but I am investigating another antenna and some interference problems.  When I get those worked out, I'll ask Dave to put them up...

- Bill

Sounds great, I'll be looking foward to that.

flyMKEmilwaukee414

Milwaukee Area is great
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 11:19:14 AM »
Milwaukee Area  :D  

Good i can turn my scanner off and listen to Milwaukee Online. You can hear all IFR's to Milwaukee (MKE) and mostly around in the milwaukee area. Clear Atc. 1-10 I give it a 9! Its mostly all busy every 10 sec youll hear ATC.

FLY MKE !!!!!  FLY MKE!!  FLY MKE !!!!!

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :D  :D  :)  :)  :)  :o  :o  :o  :!:  :P  8)  8)  8)

Offline JALTO

PHL Approach
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 02:47:25 PM »
A combo of PHL approach when I'm at home...."Intercept the localizer 27R..maintain 170....." as they cross over my house.  At work I listen to PHL tower...."I'M GIVING OUT THE SEQUENCE 10 AT A TIME...IF I DIDN'T CALL YOU DON'T CALL IN"  I love it when they get busy.

Cheers
-J

Offline KCbook05

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 11:22:01 AM »
DTW its local and always busy day and night to keep me very interested