Author Topic: YPAD feed down  (Read 30928 times)

Offline jaydee

YPAD feed down
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:23:28 PM »
Have been listening to Live ATC for a long time but YPAD (Adelaide) is always down.  Anyone know if any chance of it being up in the near future??

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: YPAD feed down
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »
No - it is delisted now as well.  Feeder is MIA.

-dave

Offline Jacko

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:57:40 AM »
I live in the adelaide area down near Parafield airport, its literally across the train tracks from my house, even with my scanners stock antenna I get it quite clearly..

The thing is though I would not be able to maintain a 24/7 feed and may not be able to afford the bandwidth needed. Does anyone know how much bandwidth is needed (in GB a month)??

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 04:11:40 AM »
LiveATC feeds are 16kbit/e, 2kbyte/s
2*3600*24*30 kb/mo = 5.2 Gbyte/month for 24/7 operation.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 07:32:59 AM »
Yep I thought so, I only have 10GB a month, and most months with general net usage come close to using it.. If only I had a larger cap, hehe.

even if my net was shaped it would be slowed to 64k each way so it would still be able to run a feed.... just.

Offline jaydee

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »
Would be great if you could run the feed.  Used to live in Adelaide, now in UK.  Unfortunately, no UK feeds allowed  :-(  Am writing to my MP (Member of Parliament) to see what can be done to get this archaic law changed.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »
Would be great if you could run the feed.  Used to live in Adelaide, now in UK.  Unfortunately, no UK feeds allowed  :-(  Am writing to my MP (Member of Parliament) to see what can be done to get this archaic law changed.

hey jaydee,

I wish you the best of luck in trying to get the law changed, I can tell you now that it would be an uphill battle that may be too much effort to be worth chasing. But you got my support if your that determined.

For a new feed of YPAD I would really like a new scanner, mine kinda got baked but it still works.

Offline Drift

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
I'm thinking about starting up a YPAD feed. Like Jacko I only have 10GB a month for uploads but I'll see how it goes. I need to sort out cabling for my J-Pole then I should be good to go.

Is there a tutorial anywhere about what software etc to use for running LiveATC streams?

Cheers, Drift

Offline Jacko

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 12:35:20 AM »
I'm thinking about starting up a YPAD feed. Like Jacko I only have 10GB a month for uploads but I'll see how it goes. I need to sort out cabling for my J-Pole then I should be good to go.

Is there a tutorial anywhere about what software etc to use for running LiveATC streams?

Cheers, Drift

What suburb are you in, if you want I could stick to Parafield airport, its nice and close to me and with my scanners stock antenna it actually sounds ok.

The tower is clear, but the pilots are a little scratchy, I think I would go with a discone antenna myself.

Offline Drift

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »
What suburb are you in, if you want I could stick to Parafield airport, its nice and close to me and with my scanners stock antenna it actually sounds ok.

The tower is clear, but the pilots are a little scratchy, I think I would go with a discone antenna myself.

I'm in Colonel Light Gardens, roughly 8km LoS to Adel Airport. I was going to shift the J-Pole to the other side of house where its closer to the computer which will be running the audio stream, however when I tested the J-Pole in that location the signal was pretty crappy so I've put it back in its previous spot on the roof. I might get a discone at a later date.

A stream from Parafield would be good if you could set that up :) I can't pick it up from here :(

I'll keep thinking for another solution..

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:35:28 AM by Drift »

Offline Jacko

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 04:38:09 AM »
Yep I can pick up the parafield stuff here no worries, if your ever in town it would be great to catch up for a chinwag.

Offline jaydee

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »

I'm in Colonel Light Gardens, roughly 8km LoS to Adel Airport. I was going to shift the J-Pole to the other side of house where its closer to the computer which will be running the audio stream, however when I tested the J-Pole in that location the signal was pretty crappy so I've put it back in its previous spot on the roof. I might get a discone at a later date.

A stream from Parafield would be good if you could set that up :) I can't pick it up from here :(

I'll keep thinking for another solution..

Great stuff Drift and Jacko, hope you can sort this between you.  Will look forward to picking up Adelaide in the not too distant future  :-)  Sorry I can't get Heathrow for you but I'm working on it!

Offline Drift

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 03:32:40 AM »
No worries mate, good luck with that battle!

I think I'm all set now, just waiting for a reply from LiveATC with software & settings etc  :roll:

Offline Jacko

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 10:25:24 AM »
No worries mate, good luck with that battle!

I think I'm all set now, just waiting for a reply from LiveATC with software & settings etc  :roll:

Great work, ill be listening in for sure. It could be some time till I get a YPPF feed up as I need to save my money for a new saxophone before spending it on scanner equipment, I could perhaps look at running a non 24/7 feed, im quite happy to run one say during daylight hours.

Offline Drift

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »
Does anybody know which frequencies were previously on the YPAD feed. There are quite a few freqs but I'm not entirely sure which ones are the most important.
Have a look at this site http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~mattb/scan/airband.htm The more frequencies on the feed, the more confusing it'll be to listen to.  :-(

Offline Jacko

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 06:38:26 PM »
Does anybody know which frequencies were previously on the YPAD feed. There are quite a few freqs but I'm not entirely sure which ones are the most important.
Have a look at this site http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~mattb/scan/airband.htm The more frequencies on the feed, the more confusing it'll be to listen to.  :-(

I would start out with all the ATC bands, the other stuff is real carrier related, man you could run dozens of scanners on this feed.... I so cannot wait for this feed, I wish it were up now so I could listen to my brothers flight come into Adl from Syd....

*goes to turn on Sydney feed*

Offline Jacko

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 11:03:04 AM »
I was just wondering how far off is this feed from being up..  :roll:  :?

Offline Drift

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
Not long  :-D

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 11:54:47 PM »
Feed was listed a little while ago.

Good job Drift!

-dave

Offline Jacko

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
Great news,

Thanks again Dave and Drift

Offline jaydee

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
Have just logged in after a couple of days away.  Thank you Drift and Dave for providing this service and so quickly too.  Excellent news.  :-) Will be listening to YPAD frequently.  Cheers.

Offline Drift

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 03:08:28 AM »
No worries guys, happy listening :D

If there are any issues with the feed, contact me via 'drift at air-stream dot org' and I'll try and sort things out ASAP.

Drift

Offline lazerin

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 10:44:50 PM »
Drift, thanks so much for doing this!
I only recently stumbled on this site and found the stream. Loving it!

Keep up the good work, mate  :-)

Offline Jacko

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »
Drift I had a listen today and the quality is fantastic..

Also I had a look at your air stream website, looks very interesting indeed, I click the parafield gardens link on there an totally recognised the house in the pics :) (this is getting OT, sorry)

Offline Drift

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »
Cheers guys!

Jacko, good to hear that the quality is fantastic, I was initially a bit worried about distortion because I couldn't turn down the line-in volume enough. I think its just a tad above mute right now & the volume knob on the scanner only has about a 1/4 of a turn.

Yep, Air-Stream is quite interesting. Currently the YPAD feed is being uploaded to the LiveATC server using a friend's internet on Air-Stream (with his permission). This means that the stream is travelling across Adelaide via wireless before it even gets anywhere near LiveATC  :lol: If the YPAD feed is ever down, it's probably because of a bung link on wireless somewhere (it passes through 10 different access points & routers before it gets to my friends server)

Anyway, back on topic now :D

Drift