airtraffic

Author Topic: ZAB Transmitter locations  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Fred Clausen

ZAB Transmitter locations
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:59:45 PM »
I feel bad asking this question, because I have a feeling it is one of those 'not again, newbie' questions that you guys get, but after a forum search and a google search, I can't figure out the info I need.

I live in Alamogordo, NM (KALM). I am trying to figure out what ZAB sectors I can pick up.  So far, based on the Freq of Nature website (http://www.freqofnature.com/aviation/zab/ - not the most helpful map I've ever seen) I have decided that the El Paso sectors I should pick up.  My scanner picks up those freqs, but with lots of interference.  I can also only pick up pilot transmissions; I assume partly because I don't have an outdoor antennae.  Before I decide to go and get myself an outdoor antennae, I would like to figure out what freqs I should be able to get, and more importantly the transmitter locations for those frequencies.

Thanks.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: ZAB Transmitter locations
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 04:14:44 AM »
Quote from: Fred Clausen
I feel bad asking this question, because I have a feeling it is one of those 'not again, newbie' questions that you guys get, but after a forum search and a google search, I can't figure out the info I need.

I live in Alamogordo, NM (KALM). I am trying to figure out what ZAB sectors I can pick up.  So far, based on the Freq of Nature website (http://www.freqofnature.com/aviation/zab/ - not the most helpful map I've ever seen) I have decided that the El Paso sectors I should pick up.  My scanner picks up those freqs, but with lots of interference.  I can also only pick up pilot transmissions; I assume partly because I don't have an outdoor antennae.  Before I decide to go and get myself an outdoor antennae, I would like to figure out what freqs I should be able to get, and more importantly the transmitter locations for those frequencies.

Thanks.

The MilAircomms web site has a nice clickable ARTCC display with transmitter locations:

http://www.milaircomms.com/artcc_frequencies.html

You should get an outside antenna regardless.  Life's too short for indoor antennas.  And if cost is an issue, you can make a half decent one for about $10 if you're handy with copper pipe and can borrow a torch and some solder.  Google around for "copper j-pole" and that will get you started.

-dave

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
what type of scanner do you have i go mostly for triple coversion scanners which eliminate ghost frequencies and IF ones also RAT SHACK POR-95 here along with a Pro-2045(my baby)

Offline Fred Clausen

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 03:50:41 PM »
Thanks for the link Dave. I definately will look into an outdoor antenna.

NYARTCC - I have a Pro 95.  I should have researched my purchase a little better, because most of the traffic over my head (Holloman AFB APP/DEP/TWR) is military, and that means they are on the UHF freqs.  Well, this scanner doesn't pick those freqs up.  However, a little research and I have a half solution.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 05:10:09 PM »
Fred, try all these freqs 132.65, 134.175, 135.875, 125.525, 128.2, 133.225. As I told you earlier, and Dave said it also, an outside antenna would help so much. You might even want to find an antenna with some nice gain, as I know you have so many mountains out there.