Author Topic: ZJX KMYR receive question.  (Read 5892 times)

Offline ssshoe

• Citabria trained....
ZJX KMYR receive question.
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
When monitoring JAX at my location I am scanning 135.050 and 128.700 I can receive the ground station well but on some conversations I cannot hear the aircraft. When JAX advises the aircraft to contact KMYR they advise to switch to 119.200, JAX is heard but aircraft is not. When frequency change is made by the aircraft to 119.200, the aircraft calling is loud and clear and it is a very short time for frequency change for the aircraft.

Any ideas why I am missing the JAX conversation since the KMYR conversation is very good and within 5 to 10 seconds of JAX frequency change advisory?

I have visually monitored the radio and I am not missing it due to scan delay.

Offline JetScan1

Re: ZJX KMYR receive question.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
Any ideas why I am missing the JAX conversation since the KMYR conversation is very good and within 5 to 10 seconds of JAX frequency change advisory?

I believe the 128.70 sector is frequently merged with the 127.95 sector (CHS). I suspect that you will hear the aircraft on 127.95 in the case you mentioned. Overnight and during very slow periods I believe even more sectors are merged in, but I'm not exactly sure what the late night configuration looks like ?

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »
This also sounds like the symptoms of an incorrectly tuned antenna. It might be that the resonant frequency of your antenna is on the low side, making it more sensitive on the lower AV band frequencies.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
Just looking of some JAX sector charts, 128.70 (north) and 127.95 (south) are depicted in the same sector, so the same controller will be working both frequencies all the time. Just listening to the feed now I see they have also merged in the CAE area sector on 124.70 and FLO area sector on 133.45, so you would have to program those frequencies in as well to hear the aircraft. That configuration might be a weekend thing, not used during the week ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:29:29 PM by JetScan1 »

Offline ssshoe

• Citabria trained....
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:34:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for the in-sight and fast response
The antenna is a commercial grade Taco that was removed for an upgrade to the MYR radio site about a month ago. Prior to that the store bought antenna was not receiving the ground station at all, so I think antenna is ruled out, although I do want to get it from 70 to 100+ feet.
Frequency "merging" was the unknown on my behalf. I will try punching in these freq's and see if there is any traffic. In thinking about this, should I set scan delay off for the merged frequencies?
Again, thanks for the quick replies.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:38:26 PM »
should I set scan delay off for the merged frequencies?

In this case it's better with the scan delay OFF, otherwise you will miss the aircraft or controller reply as they will be on a different frequency.

Offline ssshoe

• Citabria trained....
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:51 PM »
In summary and for anyone following the post:
Frequencies were merged and the inclusion of the above frequencies now gives two way traffic on about 80% of transmissions where as prior, I was only receiving about 30%. Thanks for the information and guidance.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:16 AM »
Great feed, good reception. It sounds like you still have the scan delay set on 128.70. Any chance you could turn it off ? The beginning of the transmissions from the aircraft on the other frequencies are getting clipped after the controller transmits.