Author Topic: ZLA at ATC ZERO Tonight (7/18)  (Read 8254 times)

Offline bord141

ZLA at ATC ZERO Tonight (7/18)
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:18:43 PM »
Wish there was a ZLA feed tonight.

This is from the command center:

ATCSCC  ADVZY 007 DCC 07/18/06 ZLA EQUIPMENT OUTAGE GROUND STOP

DUE TO COMPLETE LOSS OF POWER ZLA IS CURRENTLY ATC ZERO. DCC HAS
GROUND STOPED THE 12 WEST CENTERS FOR TEAFFIC TO OR THROUGH ZLA.

AT THIS TIME THERE IS NO EXPECTED TIME FOR THEM TO RETURN TO
SERVICE. DCC WILL KEEP EVERYONE ADVISED THROUGH THIS ADVISORY
SYSTEM.
18044-190100

06/07/19 00:46 

Offline PHL Approach

Re: ZLA at ATC ZERO Tonight (7/18)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:53:48 PM »
I just caught that on the NAS system board. Checking restrictions now. Here is our only ZLA feed.. http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kont.m3u

Offline XTSKid

• KSNA Feed
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:29:32 PM »
I'll open up the avi bank on my feed
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:32:16 PM by XTSKid »

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:55:07 PM »
Looks like restrictions have been cut and Advisory 011 has been discontinued. Power has been restored.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:08:12 PM »
It wasn't pretty:

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Thousands of travelers across the western United States and Canada had their plans disrupted by an 80-minute power outage at a radar facility that handles flights in and out of Southern California.

The outage at the Los Angeles Air Route Traffic Control Center was reported shortly after 5:30 p.m. Tuesday and shut down all telephone, electrical and radar functions. The center's backup generator kicked in shortly before 7 p.m., restoring power, said Allen Kenitzer, a regional spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

The cause of the outage was under investigation, FAA officials said.

A Southern California Edison spokesman said a vehicle crashed into a power pole, prompting the center's backup generator to turn on. About an hour later, the generator failed.

"Their backup generator sensed there was a problem and kicked in, but for some inexplicable reason it malfunctioned," said Marlon Walker, a utility spokesman.

The radar center is located north of Los Angeles in the high desert at Palmdale. It handles flights on long-distance routes at 38,000 feet or higher in Southern California and parts of Arizona, Nevada and Utah.

Air traffic began to flow back into the Los Angeles area by 8 p.m., Kenitzer said.

At Los Angeles International Airport, the world's fifth-busiest in passenger volume, 221 flights with about 25,000 passengers were delayed, diverted to other airports, or canceled, said airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles.

At San Diego International Airport, all departing flights were halted at 5:42 p.m., said airport spokeswoman Diana Lucero. Arriving flights were unaffected.

Airports in the San Francisco Bay Area were also affected. Flights were diverted to San Jose Intenational Airport and Oakland International Airport, and planes returned to San Francisco International Airport.

I'm hoping I can find a friend of a couple of us here that works at ZLA to find out what REALLY happened. :P

BL.