Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 10:14:09 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Aviation
| |-+  Pilot/Controller Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  ADF?? HELP PLEASE!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ADF?? HELP PLEASE!!  (Read 21552 times)
jdog4592

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »

Man i hope i never make any mistake like that... Do any of you guys know anything about Vision wise and when and how to get Vision corrected, becausee its been my #1 fear to know i dont have 20/20 vision and that its possible i may never be a pilot.
thedude

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »

As long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 your fine.

I don't have 20/20, but with glasses I have no problems getting my medical.

Unless of course your talking about flying fighter planes..then that's another story.

Best bet, is just regular appointments with your ophthalmologist.
jdog4592

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »

Na no fighter planes in mind but i would love to fly a blackhawk,apache,cobra, or any other military helicopter except the choonook(excuse my spelling plz) i dont like heavy choppers except the stallion i love that helo!!  grin
jdog4592

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 09:11:30 PM »

oh and i dont know anything about my vision except the fact that i cant read a billboard sign without glasses or anything else far away... i have to check into that with my eye doc but i am hoping there correctable. Is there any place or online meber ship that any of you would recomend for a teen (16) like me too join to help me learn more about Instruments in the cockpit how to use them and the basics of ATC communication... i know some stuff but not enough. i have been using the flight simulator x to sort of get a grip but a game simulator doesnt help with everything. thanks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:13:27 PM by jdog4592 » Logged
thedude

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 12:02:33 AM »

Tell your parents then about you not being able to see far away objects. I have the same problem and wear glasses to correct that.

In regards to flying apache's / cobra's I can't really help you out a whole lot with that. If you can get lasik, I think there is a chance that you can still fly those, but your best bet is going to be to maybe talk to a recruiter, or a fellow helicopter pilot in the military.

I know you said you already do this, but flying FSX and doing some of the missions is actually a great way to get familiar with how things work in a cockpit. For example, I do believe in FSX they actually have the Private Pilot / IFR / Commercial ratings that allow you to get familiar with those ratings..that's a good start I think.

AOPA has some cool video's / courses that you can watch...you do have to register, but it is free.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/online_courses/

I've been going through a lot of those lately as I've become more active with my flying.

Wikipedia has a nice breakdown on some of the instruments:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_instruments

Keep this in mind though. When you first start out, you are going to strictly be a VFR private pilot. Don't get to caught up on keeping your head in the cockpit all the time, as if you do, your going to have to forget that while flying VFR.

When I was your age, I was lucky enough to fly right seat in a Baron 55, and Piper Cheyenne II for quite a while...for 3 year's, I managed about 130 flight's in the right seat of those planes, and got use to instrument flying as that is how we always flew in those planes. I got to fly them quite a bit as well later on as I was getting my student license, and got use to keeping my head in the cockpit. My instructor's had the hardest time with getting me to keep my head outside of the cockpit and constantly scan the airspace around me instead of concentrating on my attitude or heading indicators.

Just keep that in mind.
jdog4592

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 06:37:51 AM »

alright thankyou alot... ill do some research with latik surgery. i apreciate your time.  grin
mkop

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 03:25:54 PM »

Is there any place or online meber ship that any of you would recomend for a teen (16) like me too join to help me learn more about Instruments in the cockpit how to use them and the basics of ATC communication...

Join VATSIM. http://www.vatsim.net/
jdog4592

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »

What is the point of gear fairings... are they just for looks or is there somthing too it?
KSYR-pjr

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »

What is the point of gear fairings... are they just for looks or is there somthing too it?

Are you talking about these (circled)?

They reduce drag caused by the wheels hanging out in the wind and, in doing so, provide a couple of knots more of airspeed. 

Cirrus has mastered these to the point where the engineers didn't have to make the SR22 a retractable gear aircraft.

Regards, Peter
ATC Feed:  Syracuse (KSYR), NY
jdog4592

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »

yep that was it. i was just curious!!!
lancer84

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 03:35:54 AM »

Dude all i can tell you about ADF is that dont bother wasting ur time trying to understand how to fly one. First of all, they only thing there good for is taking u to the station, doing an ADF/NDB app. these things aren't exactly accurate. Further more, this technology is well for the better lack of word, Old Technology. I agree  with the other guy, start learning  about GPS, its hear and its the future. I'm a pilot and I never once flown an ndb approach or adf. it helps if ur lost, thats about it but if you get lost with gps, well then somethings wrong. but seriously don't waste ur time on adfs and ndbs bro. Good luck on ur career. And one more thing, if you fly FSX, try going through the learning center, its a pretty good setup FSX has. Not sure if they even get into ADFS but they have some pretty cool training aids for the student pilot. Best of luck.
american2492

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »

For FSX it all depends what aircraft you are flying.

If you are flying the bigger jets/commercial aircraft your best navigational aid will the be VOR Localizer switch. When activated your airplane will fly on autopilot and follow whatever course you picked out using the Flight Planner. Of course this is all done through GPS, however you can still pick up NDBs by tuning your NAV com and setting it to link up with the ADF/

Private Pilot in Training
U.S. Army JROTC MP (SSG)
captray

G4 in Czech Republic

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 03:47:57 AM »

Just as an FYI. I listened to the entire Super Bowl while crossing the Atlantic in February. That's another thing the ADF is good for.

Cancel the IFR~!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length