Author Topic: Any advice before my first solo flight?  (Read 62894 times)

Offline lord_jakub

Any advice before my first solo flight?
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:25:30 AM »
Hello

I am approaching to my first solo flight. Is there anything what can surprised my? Is there anything special that I should pay an attention? If you want to give my some advice feel free.

Thank you
Jakub

Offline captray

• G4 in Czech Republic
Re: Any advice before my first solo flight?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
Free advice? you have come to the right place!

The first thing you will notice is that the plane will climb like a homesick angel! Most trainers are so underpowered that when you reduce the load by half it really takes off!
Then as you turn to your right to comment on this new found performance you realize that you are alone!
When you come in for landing the airplane being lighter than before will want to float down the runway. So be on your approach speed and keep your aim point in the correct spot on the windshield. You will probably need a lot less power than you are used to using.
Here in the States I have my students do 3 landings to a full stop. If you are like most pilots, there will be a couple of OK landings and one great one, in your opinion!

My first solo was 30++ years ago, it seems like only yesterday.....

Good Luck!
Let us know how you make out!

Offline flygirltammy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »
I don't really have any advice for the 1st solo (mine was kinda sprung on me, instructor surprise), but on your 2nd solo, try not to have so much fun that you loose track of time and your instructor has to tell the tower to call you in  :-P

Anyway, what captray said.  :-D

Yes, let us know how it goes!

Offline otto_pilot

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »
Your 1st solo flight will be amazing. Mine was about one year ago. boy i remember it like it was yesterday. If you know when it is than you will most likely do what i did...check the weather everyday to see if it is going to be good than when the time comes you will hop skip and jump to the airport. It only happens once so have fun with it you will do just fine. How many hours you at? well anyway keep the grease side down. :-D you will do great

Offline lord_jakub

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 04:28:55 AM »
I have 15 hours so far in my logbook.

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:59 PM »
If something unexpected happens, such as a plane cutting you off in the pattern, or the runway is suddenly contaminated....don't panic. Be confident that you can go around and start the pattern over again.

Don't forget to tell the tower (if it's a towered field) that it's your first solo.

Best of luck! ENJOY the view and savor the moment....you will truly never forget it.

Offline Aviat0r

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »
I just did my first solo this morning. I have over 30 hours in my log book, but because of paperwork I couldn't do my first solo/solo time until I got it all sorted, so I just continued on the training and left the solo stuff out.

Anyway, went back to basics today, and they sent me up. Only got to do 1 landing, as that's all they allow. I fly a Zenith CH2000, and you could definitely notice the difference without the instructor beside you. The plane lifted, and wanted to glide a lot further on the round out on approach.

Going in on Monday to do my 2 hour circuits time/ 3 hours areo solo time, so I can get my PPL! then onto CPL! :D

You'll find that it goes way too quick, and you'll have the biggest grin on your face all day.  :-D

Offline Robin Rebhan

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
     Flight school owner gave me advice before my solo... " Don't wreck the plane ". So far it has been good advice that I have adhered to for five years.

Offline Casper87

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
The advice they would give you in the Royal Air Force:

"If a prang is inevitable; endevaour to aim for the cheapest, softest point, at the slowest possible speed"

Sorry if that sounds negative... :-D

Good Luck

Offline lord_jakub

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:10:39 AM »
Hello,

I already had my first solo and I have to confess that everything was fantastic except landigs - touch down. I bounced two times up and down after I touched the runway. Why? I think only because aircraft was much lighter then previous, speed and the rest was OK in my opinion.

lord_jakub
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:12:51 AM by lord_jakub »

Offline 60flyer

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
Don't worry about that Jakub......I'm still doing that after 12 yrs flying! :|

Hope you enjoyed it!

Offline peterdeon

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 11:17:37 AM »
My first was about 30 years ago.  I didn't know it would happen and I recall singing as I flew the pattern because I was so elated (and scared simultaneously)  Your instructor would not let you solo if you weren't ready-you will do fine because you are ready for it.  Don't be afraid to broadcast that you are a student-every pilot was a student once-speaking for myself, when I hear another pilot in the pattern announce he/she is a student, I give them a bit more courtesy-I let them know that my pattern will not delay or rush their pattern.  So let the world know that you are a student.

Offline kitvan

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 02:17:57 PM »
I'm FINALLY about to solo this weekend... with 44 HOURS!! Hahah.

I was ready to solo weeks ago... I had around 20 hrs.- a perfect amount of time, right? Then I get a call from my private flight instructor asking if I want to fly with him from Los Angeles to Dallas, with all the airplane hours at 1/2 cost and no charge for his instruction!! Of course I couldn't resist...the only downside being that I'd have to tell people I soloed with 40+ hours for the rest of my career.  :roll:   lol

Anyways, I'm finally getting ready to do it this weekend. I can't wait to get it out-of-the-way! I've had a mild case of butterflies now for like 2 months.

...will report.   :-D

Offline kitvan

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 04:46:49 PM »
Soloed this morning! It went great.

The only advice I can give is Don't Stress! Your training kicks in as soon as you get that clearance to takeoff! No matter what, you will be a little nervous but this will only make you fly better.  :-)  At least it did for me.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »
the best advice is just to just stay calm!    just handle it like any other flight!  you know what you are doing, so just go out and do your thing!  before you know it, it'll be over and you'll be like, "wow! that was awesome!" 

I remember when i 1st soloed in the pattern at BVI.  Did my 3 full stop-taxi backs, and when i came around again, I asked to go back out again, but my instructor in the tower said, "No, you've had enough!  Bring it on back!"   

10 minutes after you're goin, your adrenaline and nerves will chill and you'll fly the thing like a pro! 

Have fun and good luck to ya!!

-NAplaya

Offline nelcus

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »
A lot of good advice and I am hoping mine will fall into that category too!  No matter what happens - FLY THE PLANE!!!  If you are anything like me, you will be freaked out and a little worried.  Just remember, you have done all your forced approaches and are able to land without your instructor taking the controls.  If the approach isn't good just overshoot - no one will fault you for it.  In short, stay calm, and remember just FLY THE PLANE!

Good luck and enjoy your new-found freedom!

Cheers,

Cory

Offline oneup1982

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
I remember my first solo. 15mph crosswind at DVT. Needless to say I had to change my shorts after that one.