Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 04:58:34 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Aviation
| |-+  Pilot/Controller Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  average hours till Private Pilot check ride?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: average hours till Private Pilot check ride?  (Read 32914 times)
akwstanley

« on: May 22, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »

Okay, I now have about 70 hours and still working on all I need to know for my check ride...my instructor tells me I'm doing fine, but I feel like I'm a really slow learner! Just curious what some other student pilots are up to in hours? I'm getting close...I think!
otto_pilot

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »

I did part 141 for my ppl i took my test w/ 45 hrs. Every person takes a different amount of time; it all depends on a lot of different things. I'm sure your doing great.

tower: right delta ground point niner
pilot: Uh tower did you mean to say ground point 8 or do you want us to try them on point 9.
tower: Oh yea point 8 would work better, wouldnt it
Flyingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »

In 1981, I did my PPL in 42 hours, soloing in 8.  As Anthony said, every person takes a different amount of time.  I do believe people are taking longer these days than 20-30 years ago.  Why, I have no idea.

Good luck! No matter how long it takes, it's worth it. grin

Marty
PPL - Instrument Rating
8 NW of KORD
Robin Rebhan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »

I took 58 hours over one year and 3 months. Money to fly, age ( 55 ) family, work ( two jobs - fatigue ), and weather led to a lot of regression due to lapses in flying time. I may not have had money or time to fly weeks at a time. Which also was a problem for getting my IFR rating ( 65 hours ). I am now working on my Commercial.
    Regression by the way is where you go backwards in skill, hand eye muscle coordination due to lapse in training. And then have to do reviews to catch up quicker.
     That said, I had a lot of flying experience and training by time I got my IFR which in the long run made me a better pilot.
     I had determined to get IFR rating if it killed me attitude that really helped, along with a one very patient flight instructor.

If it were easy, everybody would be doing it!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:14:59 PM by Robin Rebhan » Logged

WILL WORK FOR FLIGHT TIME!
Shabadoo

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »

Don't sweat it.  It took me around the same amount of hours as you, mostly due to a lapse in training because of poor weather where I live and financial difficulties which made lessons hard to afford.  Its different for everyone but just think of it as making you that much of a better pilot.  And if you are planning on getting your CPL, it doesnt make a difference anyways beacuse hours are hours.  Getting the PPL is not an easy task, and only a very small percentage of the world population are pilots.  So don't worry about how long its taking you, and be proud of yourself for getting this far!  All that matters is that you will be a pilot, and most people dont have the smarts and persistence that you do.  You stand out among your peers as doing something that humans were not designed to naturally do.  Being able to fly is one of the most amazing things that you can do in life.  So keep it up my friend, and don't ever get discouraged!
otto_pilot

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 01:13:25 AM »

Getting the PPL is not an easy task, and only a very small percentage of the world population are pilots.  So don't worry about how long its taking you, and be proud of yourself for getting this far!  All that matters is that you will be a pilot, and most people dont have the smarts and persistence that you do.  You stand out among your peers as doing something that humans were not designed to naturally do.  Being able to fly is one of the most amazing things that you can do in life.  So keep it up my friend, and don't ever get discouraged!

VERY VERY VERY well put.

A checkride ought to be like a skirt, short enough to be interesting but still be long enough to cover everything.

I found that quote on a website and thought you might find a bit of humor in it.

tower: right delta ground point niner
pilot: Uh tower did you mean to say ground point 8 or do you want us to try them on point 9.
tower: Oh yea point 8 would work better, wouldnt it
ozziecat35

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »

Agree with the above poster, you should be proud you've gotten this far!!! Some people pick it up quicker than others. Who knows, you may pick up the Instrument stuff than others. To answer your question though, I solo'd at 11 hours, Private Checkride @ 43 hours, and Instrument (Part 141) at 80-85 hours.

Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere...write that down.

-Van Wilder
onesierrawhiskey

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 12:53:17 AM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:41:24 PM by WS » Logged
Eng/Pilot

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 11:06:17 AM »

Solo @ 11.0, Private @ 40.2, Instrument @ 106.5
keith

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »

The numbers mean very little.  They are a function of how often you fly, the region in which you fly, the effectiveness of your instructor, and of course, your ability to learn.

I don't recall when I went solo, but I know I got my PPL at around the 90-100hr mark, purely because I was having so much fun with my repeated solo XC endorsements, it was practically like having a PPL, so I was in no rush.

Don't sweat the numbers one little bit.  If you're concerned about your progress, talk to you instructor and ask what he/she feels you need to work on to be ready for the test.

KS Flight Log - pics, videos, ATC/intercom audio and in depth flight reviews
PilotEdge - add ATC to your simulation experience
geoflyer

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

I agree with everyone else, though this is a question I've been asking myself lately as well.  I'm a student pilot with about 45 hours.  I soloed at 39 hours and I'm about to undertake my first solo XC this weekend.  Lots of things can influence how long it takes and how fast you learn - I'm a graduate student and also working (double mental fatigue) so definitely my alertness and ability to learn change from lesson to lesson. 

I think that as long as you feel like you're making progress, it doesn't matter how long it takes.  I've heard other pilots say that if it's taking a really long time then it might be the instructor that's the problem, not the student. 

Good luck!  Smiley
wampler24

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 02:40:23 PM »

Solo@ 8 hours. PPT at 41 and working in instrument now. Took me two months but I flew a lot and often. I think that is the only reason I could do it that fast. Another guy I fly with has 62 hours and has not yet taken the test. He has spread his out over the past year.
SCMichel

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 09:24:38 AM »

Solo = 11
PP Checkride = 78

Whole year off between due to moving and paying two mortgages.  Sad
Inferno

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 03:17:41 AM »

Solo:20 (required by law to wait until 20 hours for solo in R22)
PPT Check ride: 42 or so (over 40 because of scheduling issues)

This was for my rotorcraft license. I did this in the span of 1.5 months though.  If you take breaks, or don;t fly on a daily/ semi-daily basis, i can easily see how it could take longer. Don;t give up. You're almost there! Just remember on your check ride to not take it lightly. My instructor failed to stress just how intense the ground portion was going to be. Needless to say, that was just about the most painful 4 hours of my life.

Good luck!
aviatorchick

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 12:28:11 AM »

My first post! Soloed at 34, license at 67, this past August.....My lessons were spread over 11 months.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length