Author Topic: BEEP BEEP BEEP  (Read 21781 times)

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
BEEP BEEP BEEP
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:57:07 PM »
You'll figure out what's about to happen within the first 5 seconds of this short video...

Oopsie!

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
Re: BEEP BEEP BEEP
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »
checklist's man, checklist's.

Offline toeknee25

• My twitter page
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
How do we know if they landed like that because they COULDN'T drop the gear? Maybe it got jammed or something. Video starts a bit too late to figure out what was going on besides the warning beeps.

Many of the comments on the video page think they did that because the pilots are idiots and FORGOT to drop the gear.

The sound of crunching metal is never a good sound to hear, in the air or on the ground (car or plane for that matter).

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
This is the original video from 2007.  Read the description for more info.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »
This reminded me of an article I saw an Av Herald the other day...short story is aircraft has issue with flaps...gets busy trying to figure the issue out...forgets to lower gear...belly lands...

"The EGPWS on board however began to to produce aural alerts "TOO LOW, Minimums", "TOO LOW GEAR", "TOO LOW TERRAIN", "SINKRATE" and "DISAGREE GEAR". The warning "TOO LOW GEAR" was repeated 15 times. Two minutes prior to touch down the gear unsafe horn starts to sound and continues until after ground contact."

http://avherald.com/h?article=42927111&opt=0

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:32:57 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline matthammer

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »
That video has become somewhat of a classic. Perfect example of the consequences of not following checklists. The pilot's approach was pretty sloppy, too... touched down long despite having used a slip to lose altitude on final.

http://avherald.com/h?article=42927111&opt=0

Slightly off topic, but why is the RAT deployed on that CRJ-200? At least, I'm assuming that thing coming out of the nose is the RAT... could be wrong.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:26:36 PM »
Right you are matthammer. That would be the RAT. My guess would be it was knocked lose on landing...

See the pic below...this is a RAT on a similar CRJ 200.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:29:00 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline atcman23

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »
What the heck is a RAT?  Looks like the propeller that deploys when an engine fails!  But yeah seriously what the heck is that?

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:20:33 PM »
What the heck is a RAT?  Looks like the propeller that deploys when an engine fails!  But yeah seriously what the heck is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_air_turbine

Offline atcman23

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »
Very cool!

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »
Quick crash course on CRJ electrical system:
2 AC busses are powered by the engine generators or APU or ground power.  In the event that the aircraft is in the air (ie not weight-on-wheels) and both AC busses lose power, the ADG (Air Driven Generator, as it is called) automatically deploys and powers the AC Essential Bus as well as the Hydraulic 3B pump.  This will give enough instrumentation and systems to bring the aircraft to a safe landing somewhere.

My guess here is they had the FLAPS FAIL caution message, completely ignored any QRH procedures, were distracted and landed with the gear up, thinking the GPWS warnings were for the flaps and not the gear.  Obviously there was no Weight-on-wheels on the ground, and when they shut the engines down, the ADG popped due to the WOW switch still showing airborne.

Offline StuSEL11

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »
Best part about that Cessna video is that it was during a checkride.  :|

Offline pingo

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »
Demonstrated: Even Caveman can fly!!!
 I remember when the only indication on gear up was a little 3 square boxes marked as "UP"on the instrument and that's it. You've better watch it!
 Good post to learn anyway. Thanks