airtraffic

Author Topic: Clearance Delivery  (Read 51701 times)

Offline wabsrck

Clearance Delivery
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
Hi all,

I am a private pilot and was wondering what would be the best communications for an airport with a clearance delivery.  I will eventually be flying out of Dupage airport.  I am no stranger to class D and have done all my training in a D environment with a TRSA but clearance delivery throws me a little.

My idea to calling a clearance delivery for a VFR flight would be:
Skyhawk 2122M at (place) with (current atis) departure to the east at 2500

Is that correct?

Also when they respond will it be taxi instructions and such...doing all this before I start the engine?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Offline mklatval

Re: Clearance Delivery
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:08:16 PM »
I don't think there is any need to tell them what altitude you flying at since your VFR. Other than that your example is just fine. When people give me an altitude, I usually ignore it because they are VFR.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:56:17 AM »
I think a lot would depend if you are looking for flight following or not. If all you want is to depart the D VFR then the altitude probably won't affect the controller much.  If you want flight following or TRSA service then I would throw in where you are going and what altitude. When providing TRSA service the radar controller has a separation responsibility and what altitude you want to climb to may be useful for the tower to pass on to the approach control. In fact if you departing from the airport the TRSA is for (rather then an adjacent airport), it's likely in an LOA that the tower *is required* pass your altitude to the radar facility.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:01:34 PM by sykocus »

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:36:48 AM »
Out of DuPage you may not even talk to clearance if you don't intend to use flight following from Chicago. Some class D's will advertise VFR aircraft to contact clearance prior to taxi but many do not. At HPN, we only call VFR for flight following requests, otherwise we call ground on initial contact.

If I have my transceiver with me, I try to use that so I can save some time on the engine while the controller works out a squawk code for me, but otherwise if I don't I call with engine(s) running for VFR flight following or an IFR clearance.

Clearance is not really such a big deal from the pilot end of the communication chain so you have nothing to worry about. In fact going out of DuPage VFR, you may not even deal with them.

Best,
Jason

TC

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 11:23:09 AM »
why not call the tower ahead of time on the phone and ask if you're unsure?  Might set your mind at ease.  i used to work at HVN which was a D airspace, and like others have said, we didn't then care if you didn't want flight following after leaving the D airspace boundaries; you'd call ground to taxi and go.  for flight following, you would call cd and get a vfr clearance and code.  at BOS (class B), you'd be expected to call cd 1st and get a clearance no matter what.  depends.  call them and ask.

KHAOS

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »
I dealt with Clearance Delivery the other day at Salt Lake for the first time.  I was heading from inside Salt Lake Class B to Provo Municipal, a Class D.  It pretty much went like this:

Started up.  Grabbed the ATIS.  Called Delivery.

"Salt Lake Clearance Delivery, Skyhawk 12814, VFR to Provo with Oscar."

They called back, and gave me a clearance, route, altitude, frequency and transponder code.  (C-R-A-F-T)

"Skyhawk 12814, cleared through Bravo airspace via the I-15 southbound transition.  Maintain 5,500 while in Bravo.  Departure on 120.9, squawk 0326."

"Cleared through Bravo via the I-15 southbound transition.  Maintain 5,500 while in Bravo, departure on 120.9, squawk 0326."

After I was told 'readback correct', I taxied out to a part on the ramp just before the ramp / taxiway boundary.

Called up Ground with who I was, where I was and what my intentions were.  I don't know if it's standard at other airports, but at KSLC there are blue squares with white numbers on them for location identification.  You call up ground and tell them what spot you're at.

"Salt Lake Ground, Skyhawk 12814, spot 26 with Oscar.  Request taxi, VFR southbound."

They gave me taxi clearance, and then it was just normal departure from there.

Hope that helps a bit.

Offline captray

• G4 in Czech Republic
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »
KHAOS, You sound like a pro!

KHAOS

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:26:21 AM »
Lol, thanks.  That's what everybody keeps telling me.

I haven't had to utter the words "student pilot" in any of my calls, and I don't plan on it either.  8-)

Offline captray

• G4 in Czech Republic
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »
Never underestimate the power of those two words   Student Pilot    if I could get away with it I would use it!

Offline imflight

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
KHAOS...  Next time you go to SLC, get 34L/16R and taxi across the airport.  When that becomes easy you can go anywhere!  Good luck with the flying, soon you'll be as worthless as the rest of us! :-D

KHAOS

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 02:16:32 AM »
KHAOS...  Next time you go to SLC, get 34L/16R and taxi across the airport.  When that becomes easy you can go anywhere!  Good luck with the flying, soon you'll be as worthless as the rest of us! :-D
LMAO, I'll have to try that sometime when I'm feeling bored, adventurous and slightly suicidal. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement; I'll be just about done with getting my PPL here shortly.  I'll be seeking more ratings after that.  As I tell my guys at work when I train them on something new:  "Remember, you won't be any more valuable after this, just more useful."  LOL. 

Just curious, are you based out of SLC for anything or just pass through the area a lot? 

Offline imflight

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 03:26:33 AM »
I'm a corporate pilot who only seems to get to SLC in terrible weather!  Try the long taxi sometime when you have 30 minutes of fuel/time to spend...  And seriously, who wants to work for a living when you can fly?  :-D