Author Topic: Flight Attendant Gets Fired For Saying She Qualifies For Food Stamps  (Read 16865 times)

Offline ap23ap

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:22:43 AM by ap23ap »

Offline atcman23

Re: Flight Attendant Gets Fired For Saying She Qualifies For Food Stamps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
Typical airline.  As soon as you tell the public that your employer pays you pennies to work for them they get rid of you.  It shows that the airlines, no matter what airline (large or small), have absolutely no respect for their employees and for that matter, they flying public.  

Offline beachdarryl0202

• KHYI Feeder
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »
Someone will hire her I'm almost positive. Also, I suspect Compass will take a PR beating for it, too.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
And a lawsuit because it is discrimination.

Offline mhawke

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
And a lawsuit because it is discrimination.

Although I don't condone the wages compass paid, or their actions.  Firing her is not discrimination under the law.  She wasn't targetted becasue of race, age, sexual orientation, or any of the other listed items that comprise discrimination under the law.

They can either state she was fired for trying to bring pulic discredit to the company, or simply terminated at will.

Although having a union will change things, most states in the US are employement at will states.  That means you can quite or be fired with no notice for no reason.

It is also important to remember that there are millions of people out there working full time jobs that qualify for food stamps, its not just flight attendants or pilots at regional airlines.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
It is also important to remember that there are millions of people out there working full time jobs that qualify for food stamps, its not just flight attendants or pilots at regional airlines.

I agree there... I was in that group of people last year.  But pilots and flight attendants are responsible for people's lives too... sorry but that's a lot of responsibility and to be getting paid pennies for handing people's lives and an expensive aircraft; that's not safe.

While the company may be "legal" in firing her without reason, if the employee did nothing wrong and did not violate any company policy then is firing her because she said that she qualified for food stamps really necessary?  If that is the case then perhaps other companies would follow suit too and our unemployment numbers will only get worse.

Offline Compass1

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
I cannot believe I only saw this post now....

Just remember why Compass was started....to save money by taking advantage of it's employees.

>76 seat A/C
-hire JettPro do do it's Mainteneance
-have an 'AOG' desk that only works 9-5
-have MX controllers that have never really seen a 175 before
-let a Brazilian company handle the spare parts 6 time zones away from the routes

list goes on...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:54:26 PM by Compass1 »