Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2017, 05:13:45 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: No coverage in your area? If you are near your local airport contact us to learn about becoming a volunteer

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Aviation
| |-+  Pilot/Controller Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Getting involved in pilots license?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting involved in pilots license?  (Read 7386 times)
Offline Offline

Posts: 8

« on: April 18, 2009, 02:06:00 AM »

Hey fellas.

Looking at ATC career down the track. I live in Australia. I am aware you can get a students license at age 16. I have some questions

  • Can you become involved in a school before age 16, so you get the feel/knowledge of things? Then when you hit 16 you can start flying?
  • Do you need to be rich to learn to fly?
  • Are rental planes okay, or do you need your own aircraft?

Can you guys give me some info of the process?

Offline Offline

Posts: 20

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »

Hi Mathew,

Well I operate out of Maroochydore airport on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. I started flying when i was just 13 years old. When you made the comment about being 16 this is just the age you have 2 be to conduct certain flight tests. I have just turned 16 thus allowing me to fly my first solo this week. Was great fun and a wonderful feeling knowing you can handle an aircraft in all stages of flight! Your first half of training will get you up to what is called a GFPT (general Flying Progress Test) After you pass a written test (and other along the way) and a practical flight test, your GFPT allows you to carry passengers in a restricted area. There are many tests and expenses on the way to this. Before the GFPT you will need to fly several hours solo and under instruments (i think instruments is a must). Then from GFPT to your Private Pilot’s License (PPL) you will conduct air law training and navigation planning exercises, across country. These will be both with an instructor and without. After all this training you will have a PPL. Expect to fly anywhere from 20 to 30 hours up to your GFPT, depending on how regularly you fly.
First up flying is NOT cheap. To start flying you will usually go around to a few different schools, meet their instructors and check out their aircraft fleet, depending on your feelings then select your school. You can expect that in a 2 seat trainer the hourly rate will be around $130 to $180 an hour. At first you will do basic effects of controls, stalling etc. Then move on to engine failures and other system failures.
That is enough 4 now but it is expensive, it is a lot of fun and rewarding as well though. You can find out a lot about learning to fly on CASA’s website (Civil Aviation Safety Authority)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 06:38:32 AM by scorpia54 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!