Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 03:43:26 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Aviation
| |-+  Pilot/Controller Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Pilot POV Question - Declaring an Emergency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pilot POV Question - Declaring an Emergency  (Read 37188 times)
sacex250

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »

If I see a mid-air collision between two aircraft, you can damn well bet that I'm going to be on the radio with a:

"MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY This is ######.  There has been a mid-air collision.

Or, when that B-17 crashed outside Chicago this year after catching fire that the chase pilot never thought to inform the local controller what was going on despite the fact that the she was repeatedly asking what was happening.  Remember "WHO'S ON FIRE?"

davolijj

MMAC ARSR OKC

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 09:21:31 PM »

Simmer down sacex, no need to get all worked up.

How about this:

If you see something out the window that could be deemed an emergency, report it to ATC, let Facility personnel determine if an emergency exists, and then get out of the way.  Or better yet standby to assist ATC in whatever capacity you can provide assistance.  There's a reason procedures are in place the way they are:  It eliminates the 'too many cooks in the kitchen' phenomenon.

Regards
JD
N500GS

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »

There was an intreresting article in the latest AOPA magazine written by Aviation attorney Rick Durden. He points out there are several reasons GA pilots don't or won't declare an emergency. Mostly it revolves around the misconception that declaring an emergency will bring the feds down on you and or create a pile of paperwork. They also fear being perceived as incompetent, when they should really be worried about what the NTSB report will say when a bad situation could have been salvaged by declaring an emergency. He also makes the point that by NOT declaring an emergency you are in effect not doing everything in your power to protect your passengers. This could have serious financial consequences to you or your estate. Seems to me if the word emergency crosses your mind you are better of declaring one than shutting up and dying.

As far as pan pan pan is concerned listen to tapes of the Swiss Air flight with an onboard fire a few years ago
sacex250

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »

Simmer down sacex, no need to get all worked up.

How about this:

If you see something out the window that could be deemed an emergency, report it to ATC, let Facility personnel determine if an emergency exists, and then get out of the way.  Or better yet standby to assist ATC in whatever capacity you can provide assistance.  There's a reason procedures are in place the way they are:  It eliminates the 'too many cooks in the kitchen' phenomenon.

Wow, just wow!  I can't believe the arrogance! 

"I'm a controller!  They call me a controller for a reason!  I own the sky!  You're just a pilot, shut up and do as you're told!  I'll let you know if there's an emergency!"

Completely reminds me of the United 1448 runway incursion at KPVD.

Oh, by the way, the military is part of the Federal goverment as well and it's common practice for military pilots to declare emergencies for their wingmen.
davolijj

MMAC ARSR OKC

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »

Oh, by the way, the military is part of the Federal goverment as well and it's common practice for military pilots to declare emergencies for their wingmen.

Totally different situation than what you're talking about.  Formation flights are handled as a single flight, so it make sense for the non-emergency aircraft to handle communications while the emergency aircraft deals with flying.  It's completely different than a random pilot who may or may not know what's going declaring an emergency for another aircraft.

By the way I'm a pilot too, not just a controller so it has nothing to do with 'my sky', it has everything to do with what works best for the system in handling these situations.

You said one thing, I proved you wrong with documentation.  That's the way it goes.  If whining about it and calling people names makes you feel better go right ahead.

Regards
JD
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length