Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 05:31:14 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Aviation
| |-+  Pilot/Controller Forum (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Taxi instructions to "Follow the [Aircraft Make]..." Cleared across a runway?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taxi instructions to "Follow the [Aircraft Make]..." Cleared across a runway?  (Read 2963 times)
buzzin77

« on: March 11, 2012, 10:48:41 PM »

The other day I was given these taxi instructions:

"Taxi runway 27R via A, D, follow the Merlin."

Taxiway D to Runway 27R crosses runway 35. Is asking the ground controller if I am cleared to cross runway 35 unnecessary due to the "follow" command?

tyketto

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »

The other day I was given these taxi instructions:

"Taxi runway 27R via A, D, follow the Merlin."

Taxiway D to Runway 27R crosses runway 35. Is asking the ground controller if I am cleared to cross runway 35 unnecessary due to the "follow" command?

No. you definitely should have asked if you were cleared to cross runway 35. In fact, it should have been explicitly stated by the controller, per the 7110.65U, 3-7-2.d:

d. When an aircraft/vehicle is instructed to “follow” traffic and requires a runway crossing, issue a runway crossing clearance in addition to the follow instructions and/or hold short instructions, as applicable.

EXAMPLE-
 “Follow (traffic), cross Runway Two-Seven Right.”

or

“Follow (traffic), cross Runway Two Seven-Right, hold short Runway Two-Seven Left.”

Not getting that crossing clearance definitely would have been an operational error on the controller's end, as well as causing some issues on yours for crossing the runway without explicit clearance.

BL.
buzzin77

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »

Thanks for the quick response, this is helpful.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length