airtraffic

Author Topic: Emergency  (Read 9516 times)

Offline pbechtel

Emergency
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:17:10 PM »
Today (June 7th) at 1430 UTC I heard a pilot flying N2016Q call in a distress call to Indianapolis Center.  His engine had blown up and there was oil all over his windshield.  The Indy controller got things going right away, told everyone else on freq to shut up and focused on that pilot.  The controller got him vectored immediately to the nearest airport (10 miles away) and also told him about certain 2-lane roads that were landable. He also mentioned grass strips next to the road and smokestacks in the way.  He also got a National Guard chopper to get in the zone and help the pilot out.  Unbelievable!  The pilot could not make the airport but did manage to land in a grass field.  He called back up to Indy center to tell him he was OK.
I was blown away by the Indy Center controller's professionalism and "coolness" during this emergency.  The controller was amazingly helpful and I'm quite sure that the pilot is alive today because of that controller.
I would like to write a letter of commendation to the FAA for this controller.  Could any of you ATC guys help me track down this man's name and duty station please?
It's really nice to know that guys and gals like him exist on the ground to help pilots like us when we get in trouble.

Offline Eric M

Re: Emergency
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
This is just the kind of thing the media needs to know about. Was this recorded in the LiveATC archive?

Offline onesierrawhiskey

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:42:48 PM »
If the callsign you listed is correct:

The plane is listed to a Mark Peters:
http://www.aircraftone.com/aircraft.asp?tn=N2016Q

Who is cited in this article: http://www.mariettatimes.com/page/content.detail/id/522468.html?nav=5002

You should have less issue tracking down this controller with this info. From what you described, an Archie may be in the mix!

Offline Turtle

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »
wow! sounds like an amazing story! i take my hat off to that controller. I'm from Port elizabeth in south africa, the controllers here are terrible. :-( the other day i was at the airport and two robinson r22 almost collided. both taking off. thanks to the pilots they got out of it. apparently it isn't the first time. well done to that controller. we need more like them! :-D :-D :-D