Author Topic: Towered vs non-towered airport question  (Read 13213 times)

Offline craigs1001

Towered vs non-towered airport question
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
If I were taking off from a non-towered airport that was within 12 miles of a towered airport, could I contact the tower BEFORE take off and request flight following?  The two airports in question ar Augusta, GA  KAGS and KDNL with AGS being the towered airport.  There is a pratice area that flight schools from both airports use and I know they offer this for the students leaving AGS.

This may just be a question that the tower can answer if I call them but hopefully I can get an answer here.

Offline mk

Re: Towered vs non-towered airport question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »
AGS tower can't provide flight following or advisories, but if you look up the Atlanta approach frequency that serves AGS you could give Atlanta a call for FF

Offline craigs1001

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
Thanks MK.  OK,  I understand that unless the departure originated from AGS, they cannot offer flight following or advisories to flights from another airport.  It just seems strange for say, two planes to be in relative close proximity to each other (practice area) and one be advised from an airport 20 NM away and the other from an airport 120 NM away.

I now see why I only hear traffic advisories for one airplane and not the other.

As a side note, at AGS, if you depart north 35, you are in ATL coverage, if you depart south 17 and maintain runway heading for a couple minutes you are in JAX airspace. 

Thanks again for your reply.

Offline mk

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:15:27 PM »
well even though you're departing from different airports, the area you are in is still under the same radar coverage most likely.  Just find out what the approach freq is and call up and ask for advisories...they'll be happy to help out traffic permitting.

Offline ThirtyEcho

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:32:02 AM »
There is ATC procedure and, then again, there is local practice. I would call the local tower and ask them about this.

A few weeks after meandering toward Dallas via airways filed, I discovered that simply filing 11000 enroute enabled me to request present position direct Scurry VOR when I got to 11000. It was the local operational custom.